South Africa gears up for Zuma’s inauguration as presidentMay 1st, 2009 - 5:23 pm ICT by IANS
Pretoria, May 1 (IANS) Heads of state from 18 countries will attend the inauguration ceremony of South Africa’s president-elect Jacob Zuma May 9.
More than 5,000 high-profile guests are expected to join in the celebrations at the Union Buildings here.
Minister in the presidency Manto Tshabalala-Msimang said that the inauguration would be a culmination of the festivities following the successful election victory of Zuma’s African National Congress (ANC) in the recent polls.
Members of the National Assembly and National Council of Provinces, who will be sworn-in May 6 and 7, respectively, will also join the celebrations, Msimang told BuaNews Thursday.
Heads of state, members of parliament, diplomats and officials from the UN, the African Union and the South African Development Community (SADC), as well as global business leaders, will attend the inauguration, the minister said.
She said Zuma will take the oath of office in the presence of heads of state and Chief Justice and Head of Constitutional Court Pius Langa will preside over the meeting.
Zuma will observe a Guard of Honour as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces and the National Salute will comprise a salute flight by four South African Air Force helicopters and Astra aircraft as well as a 21-round gun salute, she added.
The minister said some 30,000 common people will also witness the historic event from the lawns of the Union Buildings. Various cultural programmes would also be organised to mark the occasion, she added.
- Winnie Mandela not included in Zuma Cabinet - May 11, 2009
- Zuma lauds Hindus' role in South African struggle - Jun 01, 2012
- South Africa wants more women, blacks as judges - Apr 28, 2011
- South Africa ups diplomatic offensive for top AU post - Jul 15, 2012
- Race for AU's top job moves into overdrive - Jul 13, 2012
- South African Communist Party turns 90 - Aug 02, 2011
- Indians enriched South Africa's history: Zuma - Nov 16, 2010
- Zuma inaugurated as South African president after Sanskrit chants (Lead) - May 09, 2009
- Horse ban hits key South African export - Nov 20, 2011
- Well done South Africa, says Zuma after World Cup - Jul 12, 2010
- Indian-origin political leader dies in South Africa - Dec 31, 2011
- Jacob Zuma sworn in as South African president - May 09, 2009
- Zuma promises to unite all South Africans - Apr 26, 2009
- South Africa's Dlamini-Zuma first woman to win AU's top job - Jul 16, 2012
- Dlamini-Zuma: AU's first woman boss wears victory lightly (Profile) - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: african national congress, anc, common people, constitutional court, election victory, global business leaders, guard of honour, gun salute, inauguration ceremony, jacob zuma, manto tshabalala msimang, members of parliament, national salute, oath of office, pius langa, president elect, profile guests, state members of parliament, union buildings, zuma