South Africa concerned over Suu Kyi’s arrest, urges her releaseMay 23rd, 2009 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Pretoria, May 23 (IANS) The South African government has urged Myanmar to free National League for Democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi who has been under house arrest for about six years.
Suu Kyi, 63, was recently arrested and put on trial for allowing a US national to visit her prison home without permission from the authorities and breaking the terms of her ongoing detention.
She was shifted to the Insein Prison in Yangon for the trial.
If convicted she may face a fresh jail term.
Her previous detention term was due to expire May 27.
In a statement issued by the Department of International Relations and Cooperation Friday, the South African government has expressed grave concern at the latest arrest of Suu Kyi, BuaNews reported Saturday.
“For free and fair general elections due to be held in Myanmar in 2010, the process should be all inclusive, and for this reason, the military government of Myanmar is urged to release political prisoners, including Aung San Suu Kyi, in order to participate in the electoral process,” the statement said.
The government is also concerned over recent reports of Suu Kyi’s poor health and fear the arrest may worsen her condition.
“The South African government reiterates its position that the solution to the current challenges facing the people of Myanmar lies in a negotiated political solution between the government and the opposition, culminating in an all inclusive free and fair elections,” the statement said.
- Former First Lady Laura Bush speaks by phone with Suu Kyi - Dec 18, 2010
- Aung San Suu Kyi to appeal verdict, attorney says - Aug 12, 2009
- An India-educated democracy beacon in Myanmar - May 29, 2012
- Aung San Suu Kyi's house is free, but she isn't - Jun 15, 2009
- Myanmar junta chief commutes Aung San Suu Kyi's sentence (Lead) - Aug 11, 2009
- EU praises Myanmar over political reforms - Mar 29, 2012
- Netizens hail Suu Kyi's release - Nov 13, 2010
- Obama urges Burmese military regime to free Suu Kyi - Jun 19, 2010
- Myanmar says Aung San Suu Kyi in detention till Nov 27 - May 26, 2009
- Aung San Suu Kyi - also a style icon - May 29, 2012
- UN Security Council to meet on Myanmar: Spokesman - Aug 12, 2009
- Myanmar court extends Suu Kyi's trial by a day - Jul 28, 2009
- Myanmar court postpones verdict on Aung San Suu Kyi - Jul 31, 2009
- Accept appeal against detention, Suu Kyi tells court - Dec 21, 2009
- Suu Kyi 'will not accept Burmese military junta's conditions for her freedom' - Nov 10, 2010
Tags: aung san suu, aung san suu kyi, democracy leader, electoral process, general elections, government of myanmar, grave concern, house arrest, insein prison, international relations, jail term, military government, political prisoners, political solution, poor health, pretoria, san suu kyi, six years, south african government, yangon