Sonia’s re-election as Congress chief threat to democracy: SwarajSeptember 6th, 2010 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 6 (IANS) Sonia Gandhi’s re-election again as president of the ruling Congress party depicts a “long dynasty” which is a “threat to democracy”, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj said Monday. She added she was still opposed to Gandhi becoming the country’s prime minister.
“If a ruling party goes on a long dynasty, that is a threat to democracy. So, BJP only opposes the dynasty, not their internal elections,” Swaraj, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, told reporters here.
Swaraj also said that while maintaining a cordial relationship with the Congress chief, she still maintained that “a foreigner cannot become the prime minister”.
“As far as Sonia goes, there is no personal issue but I believe a foreigner cannot become the prime minister of India, that was my earlier stand and it still is… I am the leader of the opposition in Lok Sabha and I met her as the leader of the ruling alliance as part of democracy,” she added.
Gandhi was Friday re-elected unopposed as the Congress president for a fourth successive term, becoming the longest serving chief of the 125-year-old party.
- MPs queue up to vote for vice president (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- BJP 'disappointed' with Lokpal bill, Lalu fumes - Dec 22, 2011
- Decision on prime ministerial candidate at appropriate time: BJP - Sep 10, 2012
- Aggressive Sonia spurs Congress, forces Advani to retract (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Opposition not responsible for passing bill: BJP - Dec 28, 2011
- Will Sonia's combativeness revive Congress? (Comment) - Sep 01, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma, allies differ (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Sonia called Sushma to end parliament logjam - Sep 01, 2012
- Lokayukta appointment to be our first action in Goa: Sonia Gandhi - Feb 26, 2012
- Sonia re-elected Congress president for record fourth time - Sep 03, 2010
- From abroad, Sonia signals that Rahul matters - Aug 04, 2011
- After NCP, RLD supports Ramdev on black money - Jun 07, 2012
- BJP, Congress slugfest over PM remarks - Sep 28, 2011
- NDA to discuss Mukherjee's candidature: BJP - Jun 15, 2012
- BJP goes hammer and tongs at Manmohan, Sonia (Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
Tags: congress party, congress president, cordial relationship, democracy, dynasty, foreigner, internal elections, leader of opposition, leader of the opposition, Lok Sabha, minister of india, New Delhi, personal issue, prime minister of india, ruling party, sonia gandhi, sushma swaraj