Sonia visits Jaipur areas devastated by heavy rainsAugust 30th, 2012 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Aug 30 (IANS) United Progressive Alliance chairperson Sonia Gandhi arrived here Thursday and met people who were affected by heavy rains and are living in relief camps, officials said.
Gandhi assured the affected people of all possible help from the government, they added.
The Congress chief arrived around 3 p.m. after visiting Barmer and went straight from the airport to the relief camps in Madrampura area here.
“Sonia Gandhi took stock of the disruption caused by the heavy rains in low-lying areas. She met people there, especially woman and assured them of help,” said a senior administration officer accompanying Gandhi.
Jaipur District Collector Naveen Mahajan briefed Gandhi on the devastation due to the rains and also informed about the relief works, even as a huge crowd of people gathered to try to speak with the UPA chairperson.
At least 50 people have been killed in the rain-related accidents in Rajasthan including 19 in Jaipur alone.
The army had been roped in Aug 24 to pump out water from city’s several residential areas still inundated after heavy rain. Over 50 colonies, especially in Madrampura area, are flooded since heavy rainfall Aug 21. Over 500 houses have either developed cracks or are completely damaged after the heavy downpour.
“Hundreds of people are still in relief camps set up in different places across the city,” said the officer.
Several women told Gandhi that they now had no home to live in.
“My house and all the belongings were swept away in the rain. We can not stay in the shelter home forever,” Shakuntala Devi told Gandhi.
Later, Shakuntala Devi told IANS that Gandhi said her family and hundreds of others which were affected will be extended full help by the state government.
“You should have faith in the state government and they will do whatever best is possible,” she quoted Gandhi as saying.
“She said that the government will chalk out a plan which is suitable to us,” added Shakutala.
Gandhi also spoke to soldiers engaged in relief work.
- Army called to help Jaipur, Rajasthan battles floods - Aug 24, 2012
- Toll rises to 27 in Rajasthan rains - Aug 24, 2012
- Sweet water dreams come true for parched Barmer - Aug 30, 2012
- 10 die in Jaipur of rain-triggered disasters (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- PM, Sonia assure Uttarakhand all help (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Sonia, Shinde visit violence-hit Assam areas - Aug 13, 2012
- A relief camp just for Gilani's visit - Aug 16, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi visits riot-hit areas of Assam - Sep 11, 2012
- PM, Sonia arrive in Guwahati, leave for Kokrajhar - Jul 28, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi to visit Assam's violence-hit areas - Sep 08, 2012
- Dead rats from Jaipur's flooded areas set off alarm - Aug 31, 2012
- Quake toll in Sikkim mounts to 68 - Sep 21, 2011
- Assam floods: Central team to assess damage, toll 88 - Jul 05, 2012
- Cyclone Laila wreaks havoc in Andhra, armed forces called in (Intro Roundup) - May 21, 2010
- Hundreds evacuated in flood-hit Sindh - Sep 18, 2011
Tags: administration officer, barmer, belongings, chairperson, congress chief, crowd of people, devastation, different places, heavy downpour, heavy rain, heavy rains, naveen, progressive alliance, rajasthan, relief camps, residential areas, senior administration, shakuntala, sonia gandhi, UPA