Sonia to select Mumbai, Maharashtra Congress chiefsSeptember 14th, 2010 - 2:26 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 13 (IANS) Maharashtra’s Congress leaders Monday authorized party president Sonia Gandhi to decide on the new chiefs for the state and Mumbai city units, a party leader said here.
Senior state Congress leaders met in the city and passed a one-line resolution congratulating Gandhi on her recent re-election as party chief and authorized her to nominate who will lead them at the state and city levels.
All India Congress Committee observer G.S. Charak attended the meeting.
Besides the state and city unit chiefs, the meeting resolved that Gandhi should take the final call on the appointments of executive committee office bearers, state election committee and All India Congress Committee members.
Manikrao Thakre is the president of Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) and Kripashankar Singh leads the Mumbai Regional Congress Committee (MRCC).
Present at the meeting were Thakre, Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, Union Heavy Industries Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, former chief minister Shivajirao Patil-Nilangekar, Revenue Minister Narayan Rane, Forest Minister Patangrao Kadam, former state unit president and legislative council chairman Shivajirao Deshmukh, among others.
In view of the problems encountered by Mumbai Congress chief Kripashankar, who is under a cloud of alleged corruption, the prime contenders for the post are Milind Deora, MP and son of Union Minister for Petroleum Murli Deora, and MP Eknath Gaikwad and senior local party leaders Chandrakant Handore and Janardhan Chandurkar.
At the state party chief level, Vilasrao Deshmukh is openly lobbying for his confidantes Ulhas Pawar or Jaywant Awale, even as Thakre is vying for a repeat term with the support of Chief Minister Chavan.
Other hopefuls include veterans like Sudhakar Gangane, former MP Rajani Patil, who was also in the past chairperson of the Central Social Welfare Board (CSWB).
- Fresh speculation on next Mumbai Congress chief - May 15, 2011
- Ambedkar memorial work to be speeded up, says PM - Aug 18, 2012
- Low key I-Day celebrations in Maharashtra - Aug 15, 2012
- Maharashtra may ban controversial book on Gandhi - Mar 30, 2011
- Under flak, Chavan meets Sonia, PM - Apr 21, 2012
- Adarsh Society: High rise of mystery and suspicion - Jan 16, 2011
- Victory and defeat in Maharashtra polls...it's all relative! - Oct 22, 2009
- Prithviraj Chavan meets Ashok Chavan ahead of swearing-in-ceremony - Nov 11, 2010
- Congress lawmaker hails Sonia after taking oath - Jul 31, 2012
- Not many choices before Congress to replace Ashok Chavan - Oct 31, 2010
- Maharashtra government will be under pressure in budget session - Mar 14, 2012
- Maharashtra opposition slams government on Kripashankar - Mar 02, 2012
- Congress, NCP ally to dislodge saffron combine from BMC - Jan 11, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi assesses Congress' strength in Maharashtra - Apr 27, 2012
- Sonia meeting visitors, party leaders - Sep 22, 2011
Tags: alleged corruption, charak, chavan, congress chief, congress committee members, congress leaders, executive committee office, forest minister, india congress committee, industries minister, line resolution, mumbai city, murli deora, narayan rane, regional congress, revenue minister, sonia gandhi, state congress, unit chiefs, welfare board