Sonia to address Shimla rally May 2April 30th, 2009 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, April 30 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi will address an election rally at the historic Ridge here May 2, becoming the first national-level leader to visit Himachal Pradesh for campaigning these general elections.
“Sonia Gandhi will address her first election rally in the Himachal Pradesh capital May 2. She is likely to address a few more rallies in the state before May 13 (the day of polling),” state Congress chief Kaul Singh Thakur told IANS.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has also invited its national leaders to address rallies in the state.
“Our prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani would address poll rallies at Solan and Bilaspur towns May 10,” BJP state unit chief Jai Ram Thakur said. “Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi will address rallies at Mandi and Hamirpur towns May 7,” he added.
The police have made elaborate security arrangement during the visit of the national leaders.
Shimla superintendent of police R.M. Sharma said the Congress chief was scheduled to land at Annadale from where she would drive straight to the venue of the rally.
“We have made special security arrangements during the visit of the VVIPs in the state during elections,” he said.
The hill state has four Lok Sabha seats - Shimla (Scheduled Caste), Kangra, Mandi and Hamirpur - and the main contest is between the Congress and the BJP, with the Himachal Vikas Congress (HVC), merged with the Congress before the 2004 general elections, and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) having virtually disappeared in the state.
- Rahul, Modi to address rallies in Himachal - May 10, 2009
- Himachal government in league with land mafia: Congress - Apr 17, 2012
- Sonia rallies in Himachal in September - Aug 29, 2012
- Virbhadra accuses Dhumal of vindictiveness - Jul 01, 2012
- Annadale: Shanta Kumar says security important than stadium - Apr 18, 2012
- Lacklustre Himachal poll campaign ends - May 12, 2009
- Himachal Congress tries to put house in order (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 28, 2012
- Himachal Congress legislators knock on Sonia's door (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 22, 2012
- Congress failed to tackle terrorism: Modi - May 12, 2009
- Virbhadra Singh is Himachal Congress chief - Aug 26, 2012
- Suspense over Virbhadra as Himachal Congress chief - Aug 25, 2012
- Bad weather keeps Sonia away from Moga rally - Jan 19, 2012
- Congress appoints Virbhadra campaign committee chief for Himachal elections - Jul 17, 2012
- Advani, Rahul, Rajnath, Hema descend upon Punjab - Jan 25, 2012
- Anxiety in BJP over move to make Virbhadra Himachal Congress chief (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 25, 2012
Tags: annadale, bahujan samaj party, bharatiya janata party, bilaspur, congress chief, congress president sonia gandhi, election rally, general elections, hamirpur, jai ram, l k advani, level leader, lok sabha seats, narendra modi, national leaders, prime ministerial candidate, security arrangement, solan, state congress, unit chief