Sonia meets Congress leaders, DMK (Lead)June 14th, 2012 - 12:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi had a busy morning Thursday, meeting senior party leaders, including her presidential choice Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, as well as DMK’s T.R. Baalu, to resolve the crisis over the presidential election.
A day after key allies Trinamool Congress and Samajwadi Party (SP) virtually rejected the Congress’ presidential choices, Gandhi met Mukherjee, Home Minister P. Chidambaram, Defence Minister A.K. Antony and Baalu at her 10, Janpath residence.
“I have communicated my leader’s choice to madam. I cannot reveal anything as of now. Madam will announce the name in a day or two,” Baalu told reporters.
On Wednesday, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Samajwadi Party’s Mulayam Singh Yadav rejected Gandhi’s presidential choices Mukherjee and Vice President Hamid Ansari.
Banerjee and Mulayam Singh instead listed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam and former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee as their presidential candidate.
The Congress core group is likely to meet Thursday evening to find a way out, party sources said.
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- We have not rejected any name: Samajwadi Party - Jun 14, 2012
- We will support Congress choice for president: Lalu Prasad - Jun 14, 2012
- Kalam should not contest presidential poll: Somnath - Jun 16, 2012
- Contest imminent if Congress goes ahead with Pranab: Trinamool - Jun 14, 2012
- India's next president: still mired in uncertainty (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2012
- We can't spare Manmohan Singh, says Congress (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Didn't behove of Mamata to suggest Manmohan's name: Congress - Jun 14, 2012
- Had no other option but support Pranab: SP - Jun 16, 2012
- UPA playing checkmate game on presidential choice: BJP - Jun 14, 2012
- Manmohan, Kalam or Somnath for president: SP, Trinamool (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Met Sonia over presidential poll: Mulayam - Jun 16, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
- UPA will shortly decide on presidential candidate: Pranab - Jun 14, 2012
- Bengal Congress lashes out at Mamata for rejecting Pranab - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, ansari, congress leaders, congress president sonia gandhi, defence minister, finance minister, home minister, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, manmohan singh, mulayam singh yadav, p chidambaram, pranab mukherjee, presidential choice, presidential choices, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, Samajwadi Party, somnath chatterjee, west bengal