Sonia, Mamata to share dais in West BengalApril 12th, 2009 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 12 (IANS) Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee will share the campaign platform with Congress president Sonia Gandhi April 27 at a rally in West Bengal’s Jangipur, from where External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee is seeking re-election to the Lok Sabha.
This was decided at a late Saturday meeting between Mukherjee and Mamata at the former’s south Kolkata residence.
Briefing newspersons, Mamata said she will also campaign with West Bengal state Congress president Mukherjee in several northern West Bengal seats from April 19.
“I will attend some meetings with him in north Bengal. We will also jointly address some rallies in south Bengal,” Banerjee said.
Congress and Trinamool have entered into a seat sharing understanding for the 42 seats in the state. The Trinamool is contesting in 27 constituencies, leaving one to its ally Socialist Unity Centre of India (SUCI). Congress is in fray for the remaining 14 seats.
Sonia Gandhi is scheduled to address three election meetings, including the one in Jangipur, April 27. The other two rallies are at Siliguri and Malda in north Bengal.
Sonia Gandhi and Mamata had earlier jointly canvassed before the 2001 assembly elections, when also the two parties had thrashed out an alliance.
Mamata also complained to Mukherjee about the “terror let loose” by the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist in various parts of the state ahead of the elections.
“He promised to take up the matter with the appropriate authorities,” Mamata said.
- Trinamool, Congress to launch joint campaign: Mamata - Apr 04, 2011
- Poll campaigning peaks in north Bengal districts - Apr 13, 2011
- National leaders to campaign in Bengal next week - Apr 08, 2011
- PM, Mamata, Pranab on one stage to seek votes - Apr 23, 2011
- Campaign ends for first phase of polling in West Bengal - Apr 16, 2011
- West Bengal poll battle enters phase two Saturday (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 22, 2011
- Congress rebels worry Trinamool in Murshidabad - Apr 22, 2011
- Trinamool, Congress seal seat-sharing deal for Bengal polls (Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Will sack rebel Bengal Congressmen: Pranab - Apr 03, 2011
- Mamata kicks off Bengal assembly poll campaign - Mar 27, 2011
- Congress seals pact with Trinamool for West Bengal assembly polls (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Congress, Trinamool finalise seat sharing arrangement - Mar 21, 2011
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice Wednesday (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Congress, Trinamool reach accord for Bengal polls (Lead) - Mar 21, 2011
- Mamata names 228 candidates, leaves 64 seats for Congress - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: assembly elections, campaign platform, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress president sonia gandhi, election meetings, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, Lok Sabha, malda, mamata banerjee, north bengal, pranab mukherjee, ruling communist party, socialist unity, south bengal, state congress, trinamool congress chief, unity centre, west bengal state