Sonia-Mamata chemistry regales election gatheringApril 27th, 2009 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
Lalgola (West Bengal) April 27 (IANS) Campaigning jointly for the first time since the 2001 West Bengal assembly elections, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee left a marked impression on their audience in a West Bengal town Monday.
In a display of unity that brought back memories of the Rajiv Gandhi era, a beaming Banerjee was seen whispering to Gandhi on stage at the rally in Lalgola in Murshidbad district in support of External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee, who is contesting the Jangipur seat in the district.
“I am very happy that today Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee is with us on the stage,” said Gandhi, who arrived at Lalgola around 11 a.m., flanked by Mukherjee and the Trinamool chief, as part of her day-long election campaign in the state.
Gandhi called Banerjee on to the dais and asked her to sit by her side.
The duo was also seen closely talking to each other on the stage, while other leaders were busy delivering speeches during the rally.
“We’re very happy that the Congress and Trinamool Congress have formed an alliance in the state. Now we’ll fight together against the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M),” said Tuntuni Das of Jagannathpur village who attended the rally.
“We are very hopeful of a good result in the coming election as we’re feeling more strong and united after this alliance,” Sahera Bibi of Ratunbihar said.
In her address, Banerjee called on the people to support the Congress and Trinamool Congress candidates in the coming general election to oust the communists from the state.
Terming Murshidabad as the district of “starvation, poverty and human trafficking”, she said: “We’ve jointly taken a pledge to defeat the ruling Left Front government in the state. And that will be only possible if people vote for us in the election.”
- Mamata's bid to create dent in Congress bastion - Aug 29, 2012
- Bengal polls: Mamata urges Congress for alliance - Feb 20, 2011
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice Wednesday (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Mamata indicates end of alliance with Congress in Bengal - Jul 21, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential polls Wednesday - Jun 12, 2012
- Congress rebels worry Trinamool in Murshidabad - Apr 22, 2011
- Congress accuses Trinamool of violence on party workers - Jan 27, 2012
- Mamata hints at ending Bengal alliance, Congress hits back (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Trinamool, Congress to launch joint campaign: Mamata - Apr 04, 2011
- PM, Mamata, Pranab on one stage to seek votes - Apr 23, 2011
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee: Timeline of an intrepid politician - May 20, 2011
- Decide on Trinamool alliance after presidential polls: Bengal Congress - Jul 09, 2012
- Congress slams Trinamool over petrol price hike protest - May 26, 2012
- Pranab vs Mamata: A tale of differences behind show of bonhomie - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, communists, congress candidates, congress chief, congress leader, CPI, dais, election campaign, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, human trafficking, mamata banerjee, murshidabad, pranab mukherjee, rajiv gandhi, ruling communist party, sonia gandhi, trinamool congress, west bengal assembly elections