Sonia in Dhaka for conference on autismJuly 25th, 2011 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, July 25 (IANS) Sonia Gandhi, chairperson of India’s ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA), is here to attend the inaugural session of a two-day conference on autism.
Gandhi is Monday scheduled to address the conference on ‘Autism Spectrum Disorder and Developmental Disabilities in Bangladesh and South Asia’, reports the Daily Star.
Earlier in the day, Gandhi paid floral tribute to martyrs of the Liberation War at the National Memorial in Savar.
She arrived in Dhaka Sunday night on an invitation from Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and was accorded a red carpet welcome at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport.
The visit comes three weeks after a remark by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Bangladesh triggered protests by Bangladesh opposition parties and groups.
In an interaction with a group of editors here June 29, Manmohan Singh had said: “…Bangladesh, our relations are quite good. But we must reckon that at least 25 percent of the population of Bangladesh swear by the Jamaat-e-Islami and they are very anti-Indian, and they are in the clutches, many times, of the ISI.”
The Inter-Services Intelligence is Pakistan’s spy agency.
The remarks were intended to be off the record, but figured in the official transcript of the interaction. They were later deleted.
Gandhi is expected to meet Foreign Minister Dipu Moni and call on the prime minister as well as President Zillur Rahman during her 24-hour stay, the media report said.
Besides attending the conference, Gandhi will also attend a special ceremony at Bangabhaban where President Zillur Rahman will confer the Bangladesh Freedom Honour posthumously to former Indian prime minister Indira Gandhi.
She will receive the award on behalf of her mother-in-law who was assassinated in 1984.
- Sonia Gandhi addresses autism conference in Dhaka (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi lauds Dhaka's efforts to combat terror (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi hails Dhaka's anti-terror efforts, receives award (Third Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi lauds Bangladesh's efforts to tackle terror - Jul 25, 2011
- PM to go on 'charm Dhaka' trip, India spotlights Bangla ties (Second Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- India thanks Bangladesh for honouring 1971 heroes - Apr 04, 2012
- Krishna arrives in Dhaka, backs a prosperous Bangladesh (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Sonia to meet Hasina during Bangladesh visit - Jul 20, 2011
- Manmohan to go on 'charm Dhaka' visit Sept 6-7 (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi receives award on behalf of Indira Gandhi - Jul 25, 2011
- Manmohan telephones Sheikh Hasina; Bangladesh hopes for historic September visit (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- Bangladesh to felicitate Indian defence officers - Mar 26, 2012
- Tagore anniversary: India, Bangladesh to have joint celebrations - May 05, 2011
- Together for Tagore: India and Bangladesh celebrate (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Bangladesh to honour 129 foreigners for 1971 - Mar 22, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,