Sonia has advice for bickering Chhattisgarh Congress leadersSeptember 18th, 2008 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Sep 18 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi has advised party leaders in Chhattisgarh to stop bickering publicly over picking candidates for the November assembly elections, party sources said Thursday.In the wake of a tussle among key leaders of the Chhattisgarh Congress, Gandhi has spoken to former chief minister Ajit Jogi and another senior leader, Arvind Netam, asking them to prepare “panels of ticket aspirants on a consensus basis”, the sources said.
Jogi, nine-time Congress MP Vidyacharan Shukla, Netam and party treasurer Motilal Vora are all trying to get nominations for their respective supporters.
The sources said Jogi, who is MP from the Mahasamund seat, is keen to fight the polls from his traditional Marwahi seat. His wife Renu is set to contest from Kota, the seat she won in the December 2006 by-polls.
Bharatiya Janata Party-ruled Chhattisgarh is expected to go to the polls in November along with Delhi, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh.
In the 90-member assembly, the BJP currently has 52 seats, Congress 34 while the Nationalist Congress Party and the Bahujan Samaj Party have one seat each. Two seats are vacant.
- Hectic lobbying on for new Chhattisgarh Congress chief - Mar 21, 2011
- Congress appoints office bearers in Chhattisgarh - Oct 04, 2011
- Factionalism widens in Chhattisgarh Congress after bypoll loss - Feb 19, 2011
- Ajit Jogi waits to use robotic legs - Mar 09, 2012
- Presidential poll: Congress deflates Chhattisgarh leader's tribal card - Jul 04, 2012
- Jogi couple lead in Marwahi, Kota seats - Dec 08, 2008
- BJP member files nomination for Rajya Sabha polls - Jun 02, 2010
- Old rivals Shukla and Jogi lobby for Rajya Sabha berth - May 14, 2010
- Congress axes Pramod Tiwari as CLP leader (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 06, 2012
- Ajit Jogi bribed voters: BJP - May 05, 2011
- Chhattisgarh Congress leaders lobbying in Delhi for tickets - Sep 23, 2008
- Tribal group wants tribal CM in Chhattisgarh - Aug 27, 2012
- Congress sees no Lok Sabha hope in Chhattisgarh minus Jogi - Mar 08, 2009
- Chhattisgarh Congress leaders surprised by 'improved performance' - Dec 11, 2008
- Chhattisgarh assembly's new speaker, legislators take oath (Lead) - Jan 05, 2009