Sonia goes abroad for ‘routine check-up’, to return in 4-5 days (Lead)February 28th, 2012 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 28 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi has gone abroad for a “routine checkup” and is expected to return in four-five days, a senior party leader said here Tuesday.
Party general secretary Janardan Dwivedi said Sonia Gandhi had gone abroad nearly six months after her treatment in the US.
“Congress president Sonia Gandhi has travelled abroad for a routine checkup after six months of earlier treatment. She will return in four-five days,” Dwivedi said here.
Dwivedi’s remarks indicated that Sonia Gandhi, 65, would be back in the country before the counting of votes cast in assembly elections in six states is taken up March 6.
Sonia Gandhi has addressed a series of meetings in the poll-bound states and had Sunday spoken at a party rally at Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh. Her son and party general secretary Rahul Gandhi is guiding the party’s high-pitched poll effort in Uttar Pradesh.
The last phase of assembly polls in Uttar Pradesh will conclude March 3 and Goa will also go to the polls the same day. Punjab, Uttarakhand and Manipur had gone to polls in January and all the results will be out March 6.
With predictions of a hung house in Uttar Pradesh, Sonia Gandhi may need to take a decision about forging an alliance in the post-poll scenario to form a government. The results would also be viewed as the outcome of Rahul Gandhi’s efforts to change the fortunes of the Congress in Uttar Pradesh. The election outcome is also likely to have ramifications for the United Progressive Alliance government ahead of budget session of parliament from March 12.
Sonia Gandhi had undergone surgery in the US for an undisclosed ailment last August and had returned to the country after almost a month. Some media reports had said Gandhi had been admitted to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York but the party did not confirmation.
Rahul Gandhi was among the four leaders named to look after party affairs when Sonia Gandhi had travelled to the US August.
- Sonia goes abroad for 'routine check-up', to return in 4-5 days (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Sonia goes abroad for 'routine checkup' - Feb 28, 2012
- Sonia goes abroad for check up - Sep 01, 2012
- Sonia recovering after surgery, makes some party appointments - Aug 06, 2011
- Rahul to review UP poll results Friday - Apr 03, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi out of ICU - Aug 06, 2011
- Congress gets new leader in UP house - Jun 06, 2012
- Mamata wishes Sonia speedy recovery - Aug 08, 2011
- Reshuffle in the air as Congress ministers offer to quit - Apr 24, 2012
- RLD joins hands with Congress for Uttar Pradesh polls - Dec 11, 2011
- Sonia in US for treatment, Rahul Congress in charge - Aug 05, 2011
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Clamour grows for larger role in Congress for Rahul (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi indicates major shakeup in Uttar Pradesh Congress - May 02, 2012
- Congress attacks Uma Bharti for Sonia remark - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: alliance government, assembly elections, assembly polls, budget session, congress president sonia gandhi, election outcome, kettering cancer center, memorial sloan kettering, memorial sloan kettering cancer center, party rally, post poll, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, routine check, routine checkup, saharanpur, sloan kettering cancer, sloan kettering cancer center, us congress, uttarakhand