Sonia Gandhi to visit northeastMarch 4th, 2010 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Aizawl, March 4 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi will be on a two-day tour to northeastern states of Mizoram, Meghalaya and Assam starting March 5, officials said here Thursday.
“Sonia Gandhi will arrive in Aizawl Saturday from Meghalaya capital Shillong via Assam capital Guwahati,” a Mizoram government official said. Gandhi, who is also the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson, will visit Shillong Friday.
She is scheduled to lay the foundation stone of the Rajiv Gandhi Stadium Saturday at Mualpui, near the Mizoram capital, state Sports and Youth Services director Zoliana Royte told IANS here.
The stadium will be inside the headquarters complex of the third battalion of the Mizoram Armed Police (MAP).
The Central Public Works Department (CPWD) is constructing the 20,000 seat stadium in the mountainous state. The 12th finance commission had granted Rs.250 million for the Rs.1.32 billion project.
In Shillong, she will inaugurate the North East Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (NEIGRIHMS), the first super-speciality hospital in the northeast.
The Congress president will also lay the foundation stone for the Rajiv Gandhi Congress Bhavan in Shillong and address a public gathering at the Polo Ground there.
“From Shillong, Sonia is likely to visit Guwahati where she will meet Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and Congress leaders from different northeastern states,” the official stated.
- Sonia inaugurates elite health institute in Shillong - Mar 05, 2010
- Security stepped up for Sonia's Meghalaya visit - Mar 03, 2010
- Sonia Gandhi to lay foundation stone of Rajiv Gandhi Stadium in Aizawl - Mar 03, 2010
- Sonia Gandhi inaugurates Aizawl Sports Complex - Mar 06, 2010
- Government to boost sports in northeast: Sonia - Mar 06, 2010
- Sonia Gandhi inaugurates super specialty hospital in Shillong (Lead) - Mar 05, 2010
- 'Lack of infrastructure, not sports talent in northeast' - Mar 21, 2012
- Northeast seperatist leader arrested in New Delhi (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Mizoram militant leader arrested in Delhi - Jul 19, 2012
- Chidambaram to review law and order in Tripura, Mizoram - May 16, 2011
- Landslide cuts off Mizoram, Manipur and Tripura - Jul 15, 2012
- Telecom facilities to be raised in northeast to spur growth - Jun 18, 2012
- Northeast soaked in yuletide spirit - Dec 21, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi to visit Meghalaya - Sep 20, 2011
- Shutdown near total in northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: aizawl, armed police, congress leaders, congress president sonia gandhi, cpwd, foundation stone, gogoi, indira gandhi, institute of health, meghalaya, mizoram government, mountainous state, northeastern states, progressive alliance, rajiv gandhi, regional institute, seat stadium, shillong, speciality hospital, third battalion