Sonia Gandhi to decide Madhya Pradesh leader of oppositionDecember 14th, 2008 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Dec 14 (IANS) Newly elected Congress legislators Sunday decided that party president Sonia Gandhi would choose the leader of the opposition in Madhya Pradesh.Former leader of opposition Jamuna Devi proposed that the decision be left to Sonia Gandhi. It was seconded by Ajay Singh, son of union minister Arjun Singh, said party’s state incharge V. Narayanasamy.
Central party observers Gurudas Kamath and M. Veerappa Moily and state president Suresh Pachouri were present.
Infighting among state Congress leaders was visible in Sunday’s meeting when its regional satraps could not decide as to who would be their leader. The decision was ultimately left to Sonia Gandhi.
Union ministers Kamal Nath, Jyotiraditya Scindia and Arjun Singh and AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh had put forward names from their respective camps.
The final tally of the Congress stood at 71 in the 230-member house.
- Congress in poor shape in Madhya Pradesh - Nov 21, 2010
- Jamuna Devi remains Congress leader in Madhya Pradesh assembly - Jan 04, 2009
- No problem between Sonia Gandhi, PM: Congress spokesman - Dec 14, 2010
- Cabinet reshuffle likely after January 14 - Jan 11, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle today, major changes in portfolios expected - Jan 19, 2011
- New Congress Working Committee announced - Mar 04, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi appoints three drafting bodies for Burari AICC Plenary Session - Dec 10, 2010
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- PM, Sonia to meet colleagues on 2G note - Sep 27, 2011
- Manmohan meets president amid cabinet reshuffle reports (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Congress non-committal about cabinet reshuffle - Jan 17, 2011
- AICC reshuffle, CWC appointments very soon: Oscar Fernandes - Jan 24, 2011
- Infighting-hit Congress in Madhya Pradesh still to name leader - Dec 20, 2008
- Ajay Singh is Congress leader in Madhya Pradesh assembly - Apr 13, 2011
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012