Sonia Gandhi should be leader of Lok Sabha, says Congress MPJuly 30th, 2012 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) Amid deliberations in the Congress on the choice of leader of house in the Lok Sabha, a party MP Moday suggested that Congress president Sonia Gandhi should take the post.
“In my personal opinion, she should be the Leader of the House and there maybe a deputy leader also,” said the MP, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity.
The suggestion has come amid clear indications from the Congress that a new leader of the house will be appointed before the start of monsoon session of parliament Aug 8 in place of Pranab Mukherjee.
Gandhi was the leader of opposition in Lok Sabha before the Congress came back to power in 2004.
Party sources said that DMK, an ally of the Congress in the United Progressive Alliance (UPA), has already urged Gandhi to take up the post.
The sources said there has been a convention that the leader of the house is a senior minister but it was not a necessity.
Party MP Sis Ram Ola is the party’s deputy leader in the Lok Sabha.
Ten party MPs had last week urged Sonia Gandhi to appoint party general secretary Rahul Gandhi as the leader of the house.
The names doing the rounds in the party as probable candidates for the post of leader of the house include Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath and Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Jaipal Reddy.
Home Minister P. Chidambaram’s role in the government is also set to increase after Mukherjee’s elevation to Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Shinde is new Leader of House in Lok Sabha (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Shinde is new Lok Sabha leader of the house - Aug 03, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul's entry into government, says PM (Third Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Shinde debuts as leader of Lok Sabha - Aug 08, 2012
- Shinde likely to be new leader of Lok Sabha - Jul 17, 2012
- Shinde apologises for 'filmy' remark against Bachchan (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Rahul gets 'proactive', will be Congress no. 2 (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Shinde forced to apologise to Jaya Bachchan in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- After Pranab who, ponders Congress (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul's entry into government: PM (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Chidambaram gets finance again, Shinde becomes home minister (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Hope Rahul takes greater role in government: PM (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Aggressive Sonia spurs Congress, forces Advani to retract (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Pranab most suitable for president's post: Trinamool MP - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: congress president sonia gandhi, deliberations, deputy leader, development minister, doing the rounds, general secretary, home minister, jaipal reddy, kamal nath, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, monsoon session, p chidambaram, personal opinion, power minister, pranab mukherjee, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, senior minister, sushilkumar shinde