Sonia Gandhi says polls in Goa within couple of monthsDecember 17th, 2011 - 11:03 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 17 (IANS) Goa will be going to the polls in a couple of months, Congress president Sonia Gandhi said Saturday.
Gandhi’s statement comes less than 24 hours after Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) S.Y. Quraishi said that the poll panel had not decided on the exact timing of the assembly polls for Goa, as well as the four other states including Punjab, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh and Manipur, which were headed for elections next year.
“Now this is really not an occasion for a political speech, but elections to the state assembly will take place in a couple of months,” Gandhi said during her public rally, held on the occasion of the 50th year of the state’s liberation from Portuguese rule.
“I do hope that people of Goa will place their trust and confidence in the Congress party so that forces of social peace and harmony can be strengthened,” Gandhi said, adding that Goa was a “shining beacon” of social amity.
During an interaction with the media here Friday, Quraishi said that the poll panel had not yet decided on the election dates.
“We have completed our tours and we have taken suggestions on holding of the polls. In the next few days we will sit together, negotiate, discuss on various points,” Quraishi said, in the presence of election commissioners V.S. Sampath and H.S. Brahma.
- Dates for assembly polls within next few days: Quraishi - Dec 16, 2011
- Cover all statues of Mayawati, BSP symbol: Quraishi (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- 400 Portuguese citizens removed from Goa electoral roll - Dec 16, 2011
- Nasim Ahmad Zaidi is new election commissioner - Aug 07, 2012
- Election commissioners to visit Lucknow Friday - Jan 05, 2012
- Hours before poll panel's arrival, Rs.85 lakh seized in Punjab - Dec 26, 2011
- Election Commission begins Assam visit - Feb 02, 2011
- Remo to play pied piper to young Goan voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Brahma is new election commissioner - Aug 25, 2010
- EC meets political parties to explain new instructions for forthcoming elections - Mar 09, 2011
- EC appoints about 1000 observers for Assembly polls - Mar 10, 2011
- Poll panel keeping tabs on Himachal government actions - Jul 12, 2012
- Election Commission in Kolkata to review poll preparedness - Apr 28, 2011
- Prez poll schedule to be announced soon: Sampath (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Sampath assumes office as Chief Election Commissioner (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: amity, assembly polls, brahma, cec, chief election commissioner, congress party, congress president sonia gandhi, election commissioners, exact timing, goa, manipur, peace and harmony, political speech, portuguese rule, public rally, quraishi, s sampath, social peace, state assembly, uttar pradesh