Sonia Gandhi mourns Habib Tanvir’s deathJune 8th, 2009 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi Monday mourned the death of veteran Hindi theatre personality Habib Tanvir, who passed away in Bhopal.
In a statement issued here, Gandhi condoled Tanvir’s death and appreciated his contributions to the field of theatre.
Tanvir died at about 6.30 a.m. Monday at the National Hospital at Bhopal, where he had been admitted about 20 days ago after developing respiratory problems. He was 85, family sources said.
Tanvir was a popular Hindi playwright, theatre director, actor and poet and wrote plays like “Agra Bazar” (1954) and “Charandas Chor” (1975). In 1959, he founded a theatre company called the Naya Theatre.
He was a recipient of the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1969, Padma Shri in 1983, Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship in 1996, and the Padma Bhushan in 2002.
Tanvir was also nominated as a member of the Rajya Sabha (1972-1978). His play “Charandas Chor” got him the Fringe Firsts Award at the Edinburgh International Drama Festival in 1982.
- Noted playwright Habib Tanvir dead - Jun 08, 2009
- Delhi chief minister mourns Habib Tanvir's death - Jun 08, 2009
- Noted playwright Habib Tanvir passes away - Jun 08, 2009
- Habib Tanvir's contribution to Indian theatre now in a book - Sep 01, 2012
- PM condoles demise of noted playwright Habib Tanvir - Jun 08, 2009
- Country mourns death of theatre legend Habib Tanvir (Lead) - Jun 08, 2009
- Playwright Habib Tanvir's condition improving: doctors - May 14, 2009
- Habib Tanvir's death an irreparable loss: Theatre fraternity - Jun 08, 2009
- Habib Tanvir was a man of quiet determination (Obituary) - Jun 08, 2009
- 33 young artists honoured with Akademi award - Mar 07, 2012
- Vocalist Girija Devi conferred Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowship - Jul 22, 2011
- Artists should look for art in rural India: Nageen Tanvir (With Image) - Sep 01, 2012
- Kunal Kemmu excited for grandfather's Padma Shri glory - Jan 25, 2012
- Satyadev Dubey's theatre brought fierce Indianness to stage (Obituary) - Dec 25, 2011
- Khayyam gets Padma Bhushan - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: bhopal, chor, congress president sonia gandhi, drama festival, edinburgh international, family sources, fringe, habib, international drama, New Delhi, padma bhushan, playwright, poet, rajya sabha, respiratory problems, sangeet, shri, tanvir, theatre director, veteran