Sonia defends PM, for unity in Congress (Lead)June 4th, 2012 - 3:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 4 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi Monday defended Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, dubbing the recent attacks on him “unfortunate”.
At a meeting of the Congress Working Committee (CWC) here, she also called for unity in the party.
“The manner in which the opposition parties and some anti-Congress elements are single mindedly levelling unfounded allegations against the PM, the UPA government… that is really unfortunate,” she said.
Her comments come in the backdrop of allegations of corruption in the coal ministry when Manmohan Singh headed it.
Team Anna headed by Anna Hazare has demanded an independent investigation into the allegations against the prime minister and select cabinet ministers.
On Sunday, yoga guru Ramdev asked the prime minister to ensure his “political honesty”.
Gandhi said the attacks on the prime minister and the government was “part of a conspiracy”.
She stressed that the Congress should stay united.
“If we spend our efforts on party building instead of groupism, our party will be strengthened,” she said.
Besides Manmohan Singh, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi also attended the meeting.
“We have on our agenda the political and the economic situation. Other matters raised by party workers are also likely to be discussed,” Congress leader Janardan Dwidedi told reporters ahead of the meet.
The extended CWC meeting is being attended by party chief ministers, state party chiefs and special and permanent invitees.
- CWC meet begins, economic situation on agenda - Jun 04, 2012
- Sonia pulls up Congress, to pick presidential nominee (Roundup) - Jun 04, 2012
- Sonia defends PM, stresses Congress unity (Second Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- BJP backs Ramdev's movement - Jun 04, 2012
- CWC to meet Monday to bolster party's fortunes - Jun 03, 2012
- Sonia thanks non-UPA parties for support to Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Congress leaders tell Mukherjee he will be missed (Third Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Rift mars Ramdev-Anna show, PM targeted over graft inaction (Intro Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
- CWC likely to ask Sonia to choose presidential nominee (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- CWC meet June 4 to discuss presidential poll, price rice - May 29, 2012
- Rift mars Anna-Ramdev joint fast against corruption (Third Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- After Sonia attack, BJP hits back - Jun 05, 2012
- Sonia names new working committee, makes changes in key states (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- No need to be defensive on CAG report, Sonia tells party MPs (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Rift mars Ramdev-Anna show, PM targeted over graft inaction (Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
Tags: anna hazare, cabinet ministers, chief ministers, congress leader, congress president sonia gandhi, congress working committee, economic situation, general secretary, guru ramdev, independent investigation, invitees, manmohan, manmohan singh, opposition parties, party chiefs, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rahul gandhi, unfounded allegations, yoga guru