Sonia condemns Assam violence, mistreatment of northeast peopleAugust 19th, 2012 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi Sunday expressed her “deep pain” at the ethnic violence in Assam and condemned the subsequent mistreatment faced by people from northeast in some parts of the country.
Speaking at the Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavna Award Function here, Gandhi said the biggest challenge in a society came from people who were enemies of social unity.
“Whatever happened in Assam, it is very painful and matter of concern. The guilty should face legal action soon,” she said.
Gandhi also expressed concern over people from northeast leaving Bangalore and some other cities in large numbers due to rumours about their safety.
“The kind of treatment innocent people from north east had to face, all of us should condemn it strongly,” she said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Rajiv Gandhi wanted to build a strong and prosperous India.
“He knew that India can make progress only if all countrymen live in peace, tolerance and harmony with each other,” he said.
The Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavna Award was given to D.R. Mehta, a noted social worker.
- Sonia seeks action in Assam violence, northeastern people's mistreatment (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- India raises social media misuse with Pakistan, situation normal in south (Roundup) - Aug 19, 2012
- Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana award for D.R. Mehta - Aug 04, 2012
- Secularism should be way of life: Sonia - Aug 20, 2010
- Muslim scholar gets Sadhbhavana Award - Aug 20, 2010
- Am grateful for mistakes pointed out: Modi - Sep 17, 2011
- Assam violence: Sonia warns against partisan finger-pointing - Aug 28, 2012
- Two helplines to assist northeast people in Bangalore - Aug 23, 2012
- All parties will ensure safety of northeast citizens: PM (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- PM asks states to maintain peace (Third Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Pakistan condemns Quran burning in US - May 03, 2012
- Mamata wishes people on Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- Blackmail is bread and butter of BJP, says Sonia (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Protect northeast people, says CPI-M - Aug 16, 2012
- Andhra police chief asks northeast community not to panic (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: assam, bangalore, congress president sonia gandhi, countrymen, enemies, ethnic violence, India, large numbers, manmohan, manmohan singh, mehta, New Delhi, peace, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajiv gandhi, social unity, social worker, tolerance and harmony