Sonia asks people to vote out Left Front in TripuraFebruary 18th, 2008 - 10:32 pm ICT by admin
Agartala, Feb 18 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi Monday urged the people to vote out the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) led Left Front government in Tripura in the Feb 23 assembly election. “There is a wrong perception that the Congress is soft towards the Left parties as the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government at the Centre is taking their support,” Gandhi told a well-attended election rally at Dharmanagar, 210 km from here.
She said: “The Congress had taken the Left parties’ support in compulsion to run the government only to keep Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and other communal forces out of power.”
Coming down heavily on the CPI-M, Gandhi said: “Due to the misrule of the Left Front government, Tripura has been lagging behind. People here are suffering a lot and no real development has taken place.”
“Though the Left parties support the Congress-led central government from outside, we are opposing them in several states, including Tripura to protest against the atrocities on women and other weaker sections of the society and to seek their all round development.”
“The Left Front government failed to spend Rs.5 billion, sanctioned by the central government during the past few years,” said Gandhi, who gave a 13-minute speech in Hindi winning loud applause from the gathering.
The Congress leader also blamed the Left Front government for alleged deterioration of the economic situation of the state and providing jobs only to the party cadres.
“Corruption, lawlessness and unemployment problems have crossed all limits in Tripura and the Congress would not tolerate this misrule,” she warned.
- Congress announces agitation to oust Tripura's Left Front - Jun 04, 2011
- Vote out CPI-M, end misrule: Rahul tells Bengal (Roundup) - Apr 15, 2011
- More autonomy assured for northeast tribals' councils - Apr 13, 2010
- Mukherjee has majority support in northeast - Jul 07, 2012
- UPA neglecting states ruled by opposition: Tripura minister - Oct 12, 2011
- Trinamool launches campaign to oust Left from Tripura - Aug 20, 2011
- Tripura CPI-M to protest Bengal leaders killing - Feb 23, 2012
- Left rout will affect democratic movement: CPI-M - May 13, 2011
- 'Congress, INPT conspiring to oust Left in Tripura' - Jun 25, 2012
- CPI-M's easy win in Tripura bypoll - Jun 15, 2012
- Tripura's Left government promises corrective measures - May 14, 2011
- Trinamool won't join hands with Congress for Tripura polls - Jun 17, 2012
- Life in Tripura crippled as Left, Congress call shut-down - Jul 13, 2011
- CPI-M will be wiped out in Bengal: Rahul Gandhi (Third Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Tripura's Left government has to be voted out: Rahul - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: agartala, assembly election, bjp, central government, communal forces, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, compulsion, congress leader, congress president sonia gandhi, economic situation, election rally, janata party, lawlessness, left parties, loud applause, minute speech, progressive alliance, tripura, unemployment problems