Sonawane a martyr: ReddyJanuary 27th, 2011 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 27 (IANS) Describing slain Maharashtra additional district collector Yeshwant Sonawane as a martyr, Petroleum Minister S. Jaipal Reddy Thursday appealed to the state government to take stringent action against those who burnt him alive while he was on a raid.Condemning the killing of the officer by the oil mafia in Malegaon, Reddy said: “We believe he died a heroic death. He died while performing a lofty duty. He was a martyr.”
“Although, distribution (of oil) is the business of the state government, we believe that we should recognise the officer who has paid with his life for this noble cause,” he said.
The petroleum minister said the oil companies have decided to pay Rs.25 lakh by way of ex-gratia relief to his family.
“We urge the state government to take stringent steps to see that all those involved are punished in a proper way,” he said.
Sonawane, 44, was burnt alive in Panewadi, near Manmad in Nashik district, Jan 25 when he went to conduct a raid on the local oil mafia for pilferage from kerosene tankers.
A 1994-batch Maharashtra cadre officer, Sonawane was posted at Malegaon since over a year. He is survived by his wife and two children, who study at Pune.
- After official's death, oil ministry to tackle adulteration (Lead) - Jan 27, 2011
- Burning of Malegaon official to be probed; compensation announced - Jan 26, 2011
- Jaipal Reddy holds emergency meeting to discuss oil adulteration issue - Jan 27, 2011
- Six more held for burning alive Malegaon officer (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Sonawane's burning: Maharashtra government employees on strike - Jan 27, 2011
- Four nabbed for setting on fire raiding senior officer (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Kerosene mafia burns government officer alive - Jan 25, 2011
- Corruption serious, need to cleanse system: Rahul - Jan 29, 2011
- Senior district official set afire by petrol mafia (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- BJP alleges politician-oil mafia nexus, seeks CBI inquiry - Jan 28, 2011
- Sonawane's burning: Maharashtra raids oil, milk adulterators - Jan 27, 2011
- Another officer on duty roughed up in Maharashtra (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- Another officer on duty roughed up in Maharashtra - Jan 28, 2011
- Fuel price hike politically not feasible: Reddy - Jan 27, 2011
- Petrol mafia burn senior district official on raid (Lead) - Jan 25, 2011