Somalia to rule by Sharia lawApril 18th, 2009 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mogadishu, April 18 (IANS) The Somali parliament Saturday approved a proposal to introduce Islamic Sharia law in the country, a media report said.
“There were 340 members at the session and they voted unanimously for the implementation of Islamic Sharia in Somalia,” Geo TV reported, quoting deputy speaker Osman Elmi Bogore.
Bogore presided over the secession in the absence of speaker Aden Mohamed Nur.
“The bill is approved by parliament. We now have an Islamic government,” he said.
- Somali president signs Sharia bill into law - May 14, 2009
- Somali premier resigns amid spat with president - Sep 21, 2010
- Iran willing to help resolve Somali crisis - May 28, 2011
- Al-Qaeda video aims at child recruits - Apr 17, 2010
- Somali pirates free Brit couple after 388 days - Nov 14, 2010
- Man stoned to death in Somalia for adultery - Nov 07, 2009
- UAE builds hospital in Somalia - Nov 09, 2011
- UAE bakery feeds 5,000 Somali families a day - Jul 09, 2012
- Bill slashing Zardari's powers to be tabled in Senate Monday - Apr 09, 2010
- Two 'Save the Children' aid workers kidnapped in Somalia - Oct 15, 2010
- Suicide bombers killed at Somalian assembly meet venue - Aug 01, 2012
- Pitt, Jolie donate $340,000 to Somalia - Oct 10, 2011
- Somali president resigns - Dec 29, 2008
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Lawmaker shot dead in Somalia - Nov 10, 2011