Somalia politician executed for working with EthiopiansJanuary 17th, 2009 - 3:11 am ICT by IANS
Nairobi/Mogadishu, Jan 17 (DPA) Islamist insurgents have executed a Somali politician in the port town of Kismayo for working with Ethiopian forces occupying Somalia, reports said Friday.The Islamists seized control of Kismayo last August and implemented Sharia law.
A 12-year-old girl was stoned to death for adultery there despite claims that she was in fact raped.
Radio Shabelle said that Abdirahaman Xaji Mohamed, also known as Wadiiro, was executed for working with a warlord sympathetic to the Ethiopians.
Ethiopia is pulling its forces out of Somalia after a two-year occupation that has failed to defeat Islamist forces.
Ethiopian forces invaded in late 2006 to help kick out the Islamic Courts Union, a hardline Islamist regime that was in power for six months.
The invasion sparked a bloody insurgency that has killed an estimated 16,000 civilians and displaced around 1 million.
Analysts have warned that the departure of Ethiopia’s 3,000 troops could lead to more anarchy in the Horn of Africa nation as Islamist insurgents and other militias struggle to seize power.
The Horn of Africa nation has been mired in chaos since the 1991 ouster of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre.
- Roadside bomb kills eight in Somalia - Sep 01, 2010
- Somali insurgents ban UN mine agency - Dec 18, 2009
- Ethiopia completes Somalia pullout - Jan 25, 2009
- Four peacekeepers killed in Somalia - Aug 30, 2010
- Somali insurgents back Al Qaeda, clashes claim 16 lives - Feb 01, 2010
- Politicians among 60 dead in Somalia clashes (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- 23 killed, dozens injured in Somalia fighting - Jun 03, 2010
- Iran willing to help resolve Somali crisis - May 28, 2011
- Al-Qaeda linked group claims Mogadishu suicide blasts - Sep 10, 2010
- 65 dead in Somali car bombing - Oct 04, 2011
- Insurgents control most of Somalia: President - Nov 16, 2008
- 9,000 displaced in Somalia violence - May 27, 2012
- Somali military chief replaced amid insurgent push - May 16, 2009
- Somali President condemns Mogadishu attack - Oct 05, 2011
- 10 politicians among 42 dead in Somalia clashes (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
Tags: adultery, anarchy, dictator, ethiopians, horn of africa, insurgency, insurgents, islamic courts, islamists, kismayo, militias, mogadishu, mohamed siad barre, nairobi, old girl, ouster, politician, radio shabelle, siad barre, warlord