Somali pirates seize three Indians, navy to take actionJanuary 16th, 2009 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 16 (IANS) Three Indians are being held hostage by Somali pirates on board a Kenyan fishing vessel in the Gulf of Aden since Jan 9, the Indian Navy said Friday while assuring that action would be taken to free them.The ship, M V Alpha Manyara, was taken over by the pirates near the Kenyan coast. It is also believed to have had Kenyan sailors on board who are said to have been released by the pirates.
“It is a fishing boat that Kenyans have been operating from Kenya. An Indian engineer, captain and sailor are on board. We will take whatever action is required to see that they are released at the earliest,” Indian Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta told reporters here.
A relative of one of the Indians being held hostage said the pirates were holding the Indians after setting free eight Kenyan sailors.
The incident comes two months after Somali pirates hijacked the Stolt Valor vessel with 22 crewmembers including 18 Indians off the Yemeni coast Sep 15. Eventually all the Indians were freed.
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- Hostage crisis: Navy rushes warship to Somali coast - Apr 18, 2011
- Government talking to ship owners for release of Indian sailors: Krishna - Mar 04, 2011
- Without UN effort, piracy elimination difficult: India - Jun 27, 2011
- India rules out military intervention in sailors hostage crisis - Apr 19, 2011
- India tweaks navy's anti-piracy rules of engagement (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Pirate ship sunk by navy, Coast Guard in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- BJP thanks Pakistani activist, not navy, for saving Indian sailors - Jun 24, 2011
- Pirates seize Indian vessel with 14 crew off Oman (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Freed Indian sailors reach Delhi, thank Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Abducted Indian sailors' families demand action from government - Mar 06, 2011
- Danish warship frees Pakistani, Iranian hostages - Jan 09, 2012
- India for strong measures to combat pirates - Apr 20, 2011
- Family seeks release of Indian sailor from pirates - Apr 07, 2012
- Hijacked Indian vessels traced in Seychelles - Mar 30, 2010