Soldiers find ‘Gaddafi mafia money’November 12th, 2011 - 11:00 am ICT by IANS
Tripoli, Nov 12 (IANS/AKI) Soldiers belonging to a militia that fought late Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s military found a secret cache of gold, dollars and euros buried in a garden on the outskirts of Sirte.
A Friday report on a Doha-based satellite news channel Al-Libya showed footage of the open safe unearthed in a garden in Gaddafi stronghold Zanaki Kamish containing the equivalent of around one million euros in the local dinar currency, a bag stuffed with euro bank notes and gold ingot.
“We found a safe so full of money and gold that four men like us can’t lift it,” one the soldiers said in the report, while another added “this is Gaddafi’s mafia money. For this money he killed thousands of Libyans.”
Gaddafi was captured and killed in his hometown Sirte Oct 20.
- Rebels offer $1.3 mn bounty for Gaddafi - Aug 25, 2011
- Libyan website call for celebrating Gaddafi's birthday - Jun 07, 2012
- Over 50 Gaddafi supporters executed: HRW - Oct 25, 2011
- Fugitive Libyan ex-spy chief extradited from Mauritania - Sep 06, 2012
- Italy calls on Gaddafi to surrender - Aug 22, 2011
- Berlusconi breaks into Latin on Gaddafi's death - Oct 21, 2011
- Gaddafi's daughter sick after seeing dead father on TV - Oct 22, 2011
- Egyptair resumes flights to Tripoli - Nov 18, 2011
- Gaddafi troops bomb oil town - Mar 03, 2011
- Italy seizes Gaddafi assets worth $1.4 bn - Mar 30, 2012
- Gaddafi wandered Tripoli streets in disguise - Aug 24, 2011
- Rebels refuse to talk to Gaddafi aide - Mar 08, 2011
- 6,000 killed in Libyan unrest - Mar 03, 2011
- Gaddafi representatives in talks with France - Jul 11, 2011
- Gaddafi would step down if security is guaranteed - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,