Socialism can’t resolve all ills: Fidel Castro (Lead)February 5th, 2012 - 2:55 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, Feb 5 (IANS/EFE) Fidel Castro says he now realises it was a mistake to think that socialism can resolve all economic problems.
Castro made the candid admission during the release of a two-volume memoir here, official media said Saturday.
The leader of the Cuban Revolution, 85, who left office in 2006 due to an illness, conversed for six hours with guests at Friday’s release of “Guerrillero del Tiempo”, written by journalist Katiuska Blanco.
The nearly 1,000-page memoir begins with the first recollections of his childhood and ends in December 1958 on the eve of the guerrilla movement’s victory that brought down dictator Batista.
Blanco is also the author of “Todo el Tiempo de los Cedros” (All the Days of the Cedars), an official history of the Castro family (2003).
Castro spoke of the mistake of believing that socialism can solve all economic problems.
He also outlined his deepest opposition to students having to pay for their education, and about international affairs like the dispute over the Falkland Islands.
Fidel Castro did not rule out continuing to write. “I have to do it now because one’s memory wears out.”
This was Castro’s first public appearance since April 2011 when he attended the closure of the 6th Communist Party Congress where his younger brother Raul Castro replaced him as head of the party.
Fidel Castro spoke on a variety of subjects Friday. The event was attended by Cuban intellectuals and Culture Minister Abel Prieto.
In July 2010 Castro made a surprise return to public life after four years of convalescence from the serious illness that forced him to delegate the Cuban presidency to Raul in 2006.
Since then the Cuban leader has participated with irregular frequency in meetings, visits, ceremonies and press conferences with Cuban and foreign reporters.
- Fidel Castro releases two-volume memoir - Feb 05, 2012
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
- Raul Castro's daughter launches blog - Dec 23, 2011
- Castro to release first volume of memoirs in August - Jul 28, 2010
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Cuban TV runs series on attempts to kill Castro - Mar 09, 2010
- Castro takes responsibility for persecution of gays - Sep 01, 2010
- Cuban gay couple plans to wed on Fidel Castro's birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- Cuba doesn't lack future generation of leaders: Vice president - Jan 11, 2010
- Cuba to free 52 political prisoners - Jul 08, 2010
- Raul Castro secures cooperation commitments in China - Jul 06, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Cuba celebrates 51 years of revolution - Jan 02, 2010
- Cuban doctor says Fidel Castro once fancied her - Apr 11, 2010
Tags: abel prieto, brother raul, communist party, convalescence, cuban leader, cuban revolution, culture minister, economic problems, el tiempo, falkland islands, fidel castro, first public appearance, guerrilla movement, guerrillero, irregular frequency, katiuska, party congress, press conferences, raul castro, surprise return