Small activist groups feel ignored amid Ramdev-Hazare hooplaJune 3rd, 2012 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) Small activist groups who were also demonstrating at Jantar Mantar for an unemployment allowance, Sunday blamed the media for not covering them and giving more attention to anti-corruption crusaders Anna Hazare and yoga guru Baba Ramdev’s fast.
“It is the country’s media which decides whose demonstration to cover and whose not to cover. We are not as famous as Ramdev and Anna. Does it mean we are not fighting for the public or against corruption?” asked Satish Chander Arora, who was among the few protestors sitting on a day-long fast, demanding the award of unemployment allowance to each unemployed person in the country.
Demonstrating under the banner of International Awakening Centre, Arora said: “We are also fighting for the benefit of people, so why such a big difference? Why does the media not cover our cause and show it to the public?”
“At the Jantar Mantar, someone sits on a fast every day. But the media does not come here to cover. Ever when we call them to come, they never turn up. Because we are not Baba Ramdev or Anna Hazare,” another protester added.
Demanding that the government of India pass the right to employment and allowance bill, Sarabjit Singh, another protestor said: “India is a rich and powerful country, its economic power is very strong. Despite all that, almost 40 percent citizens are facing poverty and economic problems.”
“All unemployed people must be given allowances and jobs by the government. The government must retain the black money from foreign countries and conduct raids on corrupt bureaucrats and officials of the country. The black money should be divided among India’s unemployed persons, till they get a job,” said another person, Mukesh Kumar explaining their reason to protest.
- Ramdev plays down differences with Kejriwal (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Crowds swell as Ramdev comes to Team Anna's fast site (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Rift mars Anna-Ramdev joint fast against corruption (Third Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Ramdev, Hazare to sit on fast against graft Sunday - May 30, 2012
- Anna to reach Delhi July 24, team gears up for agitation (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Hazare to fast to protest crackdown against Ramdev - Jun 05, 2011
- Hazare puts conditions for Ramdev to join fast - Jun 27, 2011
- Team Anna volunteers gear up for fast - Jul 23, 2012
- Tendulkar nomination a Congress ploy, says Ramdev - Apr 28, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, leaders perplexed (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Ramdev plans fast against corruption - May 22, 2011
- Ramdev, Anna hold day-long fast in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Ramdev, Anna to sit on day-long fast in Delhi - Jun 03, 2012
- Ramdev draws crowds to Team Anna stir, dissents on attacking president (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Ramdev, Hazare to fast against corruption (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: activist groups, anna hazare, arora, black money, bureaucrats, conduct raids, crusaders, economic power, economic problems, government of india, hoopla, jantar mantar, mukesh kumar, protester, protestor, protestors, s media, unemployed person, unemployed persons, yoga guru