S.M. Krishna: US-educated, experienced politicianMay 22nd, 2009 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) A former chief minister of Karnataka, US-educated Congress leader S.M. Krishna makes his debut in the cabinet Friday, promising to bring to his new job administrative skills and expertise in economic diplomacy.
The 77-year-old politician, known for his impeccable sartorial tastes, has also been governor of Maharashtra after he lost the elections in Karnataka.
He played a key role in upgrading infrastructure in Karnataka when he headed the government there from 1999-2004. He is credited with making Bangalore investor-friendly through public-private partnership and the creation of the Bangalore Action Task Force.
He completed his Bachelor’s in Arts from Maharaja’s College, Mysore, and obtained a Law degree from Government Law College, Bangalore before heading to the US. A Fulbright scholar, Krishna graduated from the Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas and George Washington University, Washington D.C.
Krishna has served multiple terms as an MP from the Mandya district of Karnataka. He served as union minister of state for industry (1983-84), union minister of state for finance (1984-85) and speaker of Karanataka Legilsative Assembly (1989-1992).
A professional at international law, he is known to be a tennis and yoga enthusiast.
- US-educated Krishna is India's foreign minister (Profile) - May 23, 2009
- Apex court to hear Krishna's plea Friday - Jan 26, 2012
- Illegal mining case: Hearing on Krishna's plea Thursday - Dec 14, 2011
- Krishna declines comment on demand for his resignation - Dec 10, 2011
- Illegal mining: Probe against Krishna stayed - Dec 15, 2011
- Three Karnataka ex-CMs named in mining scam FIR - Dec 08, 2011
- Krishna moves apex court against Lokayukta proceedings - Jan 24, 2012
- BJP demands Krishna's resignation over illegal mining - Dec 09, 2011
- Krishna declines comment on court ruling against him - Jan 20, 2012
- Krishna moves high court to quash illegal mining case - Dec 09, 2011
- Krishna rubbishes Yeddyruappa's claims on land deals - Nov 16, 2010
- Lokayukta denies naming Krishna in mining report - Jul 23, 2011
- Illegal mining: Court allows probe of Krishna, Kumaraswamy's role (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Krishna abetted illegal mining in Karnataka: NGO - Jan 05, 2012
- Illegal mining: Embarrassment for Congress as Krishna faces probe - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: administrative skills, chief minister of karnataka, congress leader, economic diplomacy, fulbright scholar, george washington university, government law college, governor of maharashtra, karanataka, key role, krishna, law degree, maharaja, minister of state, mysore, new job, public private partnership, s college, southern methodist university, union minister