Slain assailant in Varanasi shootout from Samajwadi PartyAugust 1st, 2008 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 1 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh police have identified one of the attackers who was killed in Wednesday’s crossfire between a Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) member and four assailants in Varanasi. He has been identified as Ramesh Yadav, also known as Babu Yadav, a Samajwadi Party corporator. BSP member Dharmendra Singh was injured Wednesday evening when gunmen opened fire at his car, killing his driver. While one of the attackers was killed in the return fire, the other two assailants fell to police bullets when they tried to escape.
“Babu’s family members identified his body late on Thursday evening and it was later handed over to them,” Varanasi police chief Vijay Prakash told IANS on phone.
Two other assailants managed to flee from the spot after the shootout but the police were able to nab them.
“While being taken to the police station, they tried to escape and the police were forced to open fire on them,” Prakash said.
According to police sources, Babu was a close associate of one of Uttar Pradesh’s most wanted dons, Munna Bajrangi, who carries a cash reward of Rs.700,000 on his head.
“Babu had two dozen cases lodged against him including those of murder and was released on bail from the Ghazipur district jail a few months ago,” Prakash added.
“Dharmendra is a close associate of (jailed mafia don) Brijesh Singh who was evading the law for about 20 years and was arrested in Bhubaneswar in January. Bajrangi was once a member of Brijesh’s gang.” the source added.
- Gangster gunned down in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 07, 2011
- Gangster allowed to file poll papers from jail - Jan 18, 2012
- Two folk singers killed in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 09, 2012
- UP cops told to bring legislator to Delhi court Feb 9 - Jan 27, 2012
- Two aides of gangster Munna Bajrangi held - Oct 13, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh lawmaker Mukhtar Ansari's trial begins May 22 - May 03, 2012
- Mukhtar Ansari's sharpshooter arrested - Nov 16, 2010
- Samajwadi Party leader shot dead in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 23, 2010
- Gangster gets 30 days police custody - Nov 09, 2009
- 2 killed in poll violence in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 14, 2010
- 13 prisoners escape from prison van in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 09, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh official asked to explain failure to bring Ansari - Dec 08, 2009
- Reward announced for capture of escaped convict - Jun 20, 2011
- BSP leader shot dead, supporters protest - Jul 05, 2011
- One killed as SP man fires at wedding (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: assailant, assailants, attackers, babu, bahujan samaj party, bhubaneswar, brijesh, cash reward, dharmendra, district jail, gunmen opened fire, mafia don, munna, police chief, police sources, police station, return fire, uttar pradesh police, wednesday evening, yadav