Six policemen charged for assaulting MP, probe ordered (Second Lead)October 4th, 2008 - 11:04 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Oct 4 (IANS) The Madhya Pradesh police Saturday ordered a probe into the beating up of a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP during an anti-encroachment drive in the state’s Sagar district, even as six railway policemen were charged with attempt to murder.State police chief S.K. Raut ordered an enquiry into the incident and appointed railway Inspector General of Police Aruna Mohan Rao as an investigating officer.
BJP MP Virender Kumar Khatik was critically injured Friday when a group of Railway Protection Force (RPF) personnel surrounded him and caned him in full public view when he tried to stop the demolition of shops illegaly built on railway land in Chhota Bajarial locality in Bina town.
Khatik, a three-time MP, received eight stitches on the head after being hit by the policemen, who were angered by stone pelting by a group of shopkeepers affected by the demolition drive.
“An attempt to murder case has been registered in Bina Kotwali police station against GRP (Government Railway Police) station house officer S.S. Badgurjar, RPF inspector Vivek Sharma and four other RPF personnel,” Raut told IANS.
“I have ordered a probe into the incident and asked the inquiry officer to submit the report within three days,” Raut added.
RPF commandant Sarika Mohan said that five police personnel have been transferred to the police lines. They include Vivek Sharma, assistant sub-inspector S.K. Sharma and constables Sudhir, Gokul and Kartar Singh.
The 54-year-old MP from Sagar was bleeding profusely when he was rushed in an unconscious state Friday to Bhopal’s Hamidia Hospital where he was under observation in the Intensive Care Unit. His condition was stable, a doctor said.
A shutdown was observed Saturday in Bina town on a call given by the BJP to protest the assault on the MP.
- 5 Railway policemen suspended for assault on BJP MP - Oct 05, 2008
- Six policemen booked for assaulting BJP MP (Lead) - Oct 04, 2008
- Six policemen booked, five suspended for beating up BJP MP - Oct 04, 2008
- BJP MP injured in clash between encroachers, police - Oct 03, 2008
- Three RPF men suspended for torturing guard, probe ordered - Oct 14, 2011
- Deceased IPS officer's father alleges political murder - Mar 09, 2012
- Drunk man beaten up by police at railway station - Feb 14, 2012
- Five cops suspended for custodial death - Jan 07, 2011
- BJP leader held for attacking mining inspector - Mar 11, 2012
- BJP MP, workers arrested for damaging railway property - Feb 27, 2010
- Betrayed by lover, minor girl commits suicide - Jun 19, 2011
- BJP leader, 16 others booked for rioting - Jun 16, 2010
- STF to probe murder of senior scribe, family - Feb 19, 2012
- Chhattisgarh town tense after cop killed by thieves - Feb 03, 2011
- CBI files case in Bhopal activist's murder - Sep 03, 2011