Six killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead)April 16th, 2009 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, April 16 (IANS) Five polling officials were dead Thursday in a landmine blast in Chhattisgarh’s Rajnandgaon district and a paramilitary trooper was killed in the Maoist stronghold of Dantewada as guerrillas targeted the electoral process across the state.
“Guerrillas blew up a jeep carrying polling officials in a forested area of the state’s western Rajnandgaon district while a CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force) jawan of the 41st battalion was shot dead and four others injured in Dantewada district,” said Additional Director General of Police Girdhari Nayak.
The violence spread across the state.
While the landmine blast targeting the poll officials was in Rajnandgaon’s Kamkasur area, 125 km west of the capital Raipur, the security personnel was killed in an extended exchange of bullets with guerrillas in the state’s extreme southern belt under Bastar seat, about 480 km from here.
Besides, insurgents opened fire at about a dozen places in Bastar and Kanker seats soon after voting began at 7 a.m.. This included six polling booths in Dantewada and Narayanpur districts, police said.
Maoists also blocked roads in the vast interiors of Bijapur and also in Antagarh in Kanker district with heavy wooden logs.
Polling for the state 11 parliamentary seats began at 7 a.m. The voting will end in Bastar and Kanker seats by 3 p.m., while polling stations in the other nine seats will close at 4 p.m.
- Maoists oppose Chhattisgarh's foundation anniversary - Oct 28, 2011
- Bastar records 40 percent polling amid Maoist blasts, firing (Second Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Shutdown begins in Chhattisgarh amid fears of more attacks - May 18, 2010
- Landmines recovered in Chhattisgarh - Apr 28, 2011
- 25 kg landmine defused in Chhattisgarh - May 10, 2011
- Violence-hit Chhattisgarh records 50 percent polling (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Fearful in Chhattisgarh day after Maoist strike (Lead) - May 18, 2010
- Chhattisgarh on alert against Maoist strike - Aug 14, 2011
- 10 securitymen die in Maoist landmine blast (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- 10 Chhattisgarh cops killed in Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Maoist blast government office in Chhattisgarh - Aug 16, 2010
- Two deadly attacks in Chhatttisgarh, 15 cops killed (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Police sneak into forests after Maoist killings - Jun 24, 2010
- Maoists blast three bridges in Chhattisgarh - Dec 23, 2010
- Day after massacre, terror stalks Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - May 18, 2010
Tags: battalion, bijapur, crpf, electoral process, forested area, guerrillas, jawan, kanker, landmine blast, maoist, maoists, parliamentary seats, police force, polling booths, polling stations, reserve police, security personnel, stronghold, vast interiors, wooden logs