Six BSF personnel killed in landmine blast in JharkhandApril 16th, 2009 - 9:52 am ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Apr 16 (IANS) Six Border Security Force (BSF) personnel going for polling duty were killed in a landmine blast triggered by Maoist rebels in Latehar district of Jharkhand early Thursday, police said.
“Six BSF personnel were killed in a landmine blast in a jungle near Aara village. Police officials have rushed there to assess the situation,” Sarvendu Thagat, Latehar district deputy police commissioner, told IANS on phone.
Maoist rebels detonated the landmine when the BSF personnel were travelling in a bus to a polling station near Aara village, about 140 km from here.
After the landmine blast, the guerrillas ambushed the BSF bus. A gunbattle followed between the rebels and security forces.
On Monday, Maoist rebels had ambushed a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) bus in the same district, killing two security personnel and the bus driver. Five Maoist rebels were also killed in the ensuing gunbattle.
Polling began in six Lok Sabha seats of the state Thursday morning.
- Nine killed as Maoists attack securitymen on poll duty in Jharkhand (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Nine killed, four abducted in Jharkhand Maoist attacks on poll day (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists kill CRPF man, injure six in Bihar - Jun 10, 2012
- One trooper killed, three injured in Jharkhand landmine blast - Apr 17, 2009
- Maoists blast school, attack police station in Jharkhand - Dec 06, 2011
- Moderate turnout in Jharkhand amid Maoist attacks (Fourth lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- 13 Jharkhand policemen killed in Maoist ambush - Jan 21, 2012
- Low turnout in Jharkhand as Maoist violence kills nine (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Orissa to disrupt polling - Apr 16, 2009
- Ten Naxal strikes in five states on polling day, at least 11 killed - Apr 16, 2009
- Maoists kill 11 CRPF troopers in landmine blast (Third Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Maoists destroy village council building in Latehar - Nov 28, 2010
- Five cops killed in Jharkhand landmine blast - Jul 16, 2010
- At least 17 killed as Maoists attack election officials (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Eight killed as Maoists attack MP's convoy in Jharkhand - Dec 04, 2011
Tags: border security force, bsf, bus driver, deputy police commissioner, district deputy, guerrillas, gunbattle, jungle, lok sabha seats, maoist, maoist rebels, police force, police officials, polling station, ranchi, reserve police, security forces, security personnel, thursday morning