Situation has improved in Assam: GogoiAugust 1st, 2012 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Aug 1 (IANS) The situation has improved in the communal violence-hit areas of Assam with the government planning to send all the displaced people to their homes by Aug 15, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said Wednesday.
“The situation has improved in the violence-affected areas. There has not been any major incident since July 25. We have also sent back 12,000 people to their homes from relief camps,” he told mediapersons in Dispur.
As many 56 persons were killed after clashes broke out between Bodos and Bengali-speaking Muslims in Bodoland Territorial Areas District and Dhubri district between July 19 to July 25.
Gogoi said all the people displaced by the violence would be sent to their homes with proper security by August 15.
He also said security pickets would be set up in the affected areas.
“Police and security forces have identified 104 sensitive areas in the three districts. We have already set up 19 pickets and efforts are on to set up the remaining pickets,” said Gogoi.
However, night curfew is still being imposed in the affected districts.
According to government reports, the clashes affected over four lakh people in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts. Around 5,000 houses belonging to both the communities were burnt down.
The government then set up 278 relief camps to accommodate the displaced.
According to reports, six of the 56 people were killed in conflict with security persons, 61 people were injured and 11 were missing till Tuesday.
The army took out a flag march in the sensitive areas and there was police and paramilitary patrolling too, a home department statement had said Tuesday.
- Tension in Assam's Bodo areas as four bodies found, curfew imposed - Aug 05, 2012
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
- Chidambaram visits Kokrajhar, Chirang; reviews security - Jul 30, 2012
- Central team visits riot-hit Assam areas, reviews security - Aug 21, 2012
- Sonia, Shinde visit violence-hit Assam areas - Aug 13, 2012
- Assam for CBI probe in communal violence - Aug 07, 2012
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam burns, 32 dead, thousands homeless (Night Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- One injured, two missing in fresh attack in Assam - Aug 22, 2012
- Gogoi hints at judicial probe into violence - Aug 11, 2012
- Assam toll now 18, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Fresh violence rocks Assam's Kokrajhar, Dhubri - Aug 26, 2012
Tags: assam, august 15, bengali, bodos, chief minister, clashes, communal violence, curfew, dispur, gogoi, government reports, guwahati, lakh, pickets, proper security, relief camps, security forces, security persons, sensitive areas, tarun