SIT files charge sheets against Kodnani, Patel (Lead)May 1st, 2009 - 9:05 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, May 1 (IANS) The Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) Friday filed a 300-page charge sheet against 24 people, including former Gujarat minister Maya Kodnani and Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Jaideep Patel, for their role in the 2002 communal violence, officials said here.
Kodnani, who had to step down as minister of state for women’s welfare and higher education, and Patel face charges of abetting communal violence in Naroda on the outskirts of the city Feb 28, 2002.
The charge sheets were filed hours after the Supreme Court asked the SIT to help set up fast-track courts for speedy trial of key cases of violence.
“Both Kodnani and Patel were informed in Sabarmati jail today (Friday) that the SIT has filed a chargesheet against both,” a senior police official in the jail department told IANS.
He said that the former minister and VHP leader may have to spend more time in jail and even go through some more rounds of questioning by the SIT if required.
Kodnani’s bail application is pending before the Gujarat High Court.
The five-member SIT comprises former Central Bureau of Investigation chief R.K. Raghavan, former Uttar Pradesh director general of police C.B. Sathpathy, and senior serving police officers of the Gujarat state Gita Johri, Shivanand Jha and Asish Bhatia.
A senior SIT official said that the team is investigating nine major rioting cases including the carnages at Naroda Patia and Gulbarg Society.
The SIT was constituted by the Supreme Court in March 2008 to re-investigate 14 rioting cases after the Godhra communal clashes.
- Another Gujarat police officer faces action - Aug 11, 2011
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Riot tainted Gujarat minister Maya Kodnani gets bail (Lead) - May 19, 2009
- BJP downplays ex-Gujarat minister's conviction - Aug 29, 2012
- Chargesheet filed against ex-Gujarat minister Kodnani - May 01, 2009
- Kapil Sibal, Ahmed Patel framed me: Maya Kodnani - Apr 04, 2009
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Charge sheets filed against Kodnani, Patel - May 01, 2009
- Kodnani conviction shows rule of law in Gujarat: BJP - Sep 01, 2012
- BJP mum on Maya Kodnani's sentence - Aug 31, 2012
- Gujarat riots: Probe Modi, says Supreme Court amicus curiae - May 07, 2012
- Gujarat case: Court rejects plea for further probe of phone call records CD - Apr 26, 2011
- Gujarat riots: Top cop questioned - Mar 22, 2011
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister Kodnani, 31 convicted (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- 32 convicted in Naroda Patiya massacre - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: central bureau of investigation, charge sheets, city feb, communal clashes, communal violence, face charges, gujarat high court, gujarat minister, gujarat state, investigation team, jaideep, jha, minister of state, outskirts, patia, police official, speedy trial, uttar pradesh, vhp, vishwa hindu parishad