Sister Nirmala feels humble in getting Padma Vibhushan (Lead)January 26th, 2009 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 26 (IANS) Feeling “humble”, Missionaries of Charity (MoC) superior general Sister Nirmala Monday said she was unable to understand why she was being given Padma Vibhushan, the second highest civilian honour.”I don’t know much about this award and can’t understand what I have done to receive this honour!” Nirmala told reporters at Mother House, the global headquarters of MoC here.
She is among the 10 people chosen for the award on the occasion of the Republic Day.
Nirmala further said she is not the only one who deserves this award.
“I feel humble to receive this honour. However, this is not my achievement alone, but the efforts of all the nuns of MoC, who have devoted their lives to the service of God and people.”
“Nevertheless, we have always learnt to accept whatever good or bad God gives us. And I am grateful to Him and accept this honour as His blessing,” the 74-year-old nun said.
Nirmala, who took over as the Missionaries of Charity superior general in 1997 succeeding Mother Teresa, is known for her simplicity and humility.
Born Nirmala Joshi to a Brahmin family in Ranchi in 1934, she joined MoC at the age of 17 after converting to Christianity from Hinduism.
- I feel grateful: Sister Nirmala - Jan 26, 2009
- Kolkatans shower Mother Teresa with love on centenary (Roundup) - Aug 26, 2010
- Outpouring of love, Papal message mark Mother Teresa centenary (Lead) - Aug 26, 2010
- Honour Mother Teresa by caring for the unloved: Patil - Aug 28, 2010
- If God wishes, I'll intervene in Kandhamal: Sister Prema - Mar 27, 2009
- Mass begins Mother Teresa's birth centenary celebrations - Aug 26, 2010
- Pope sends blessings on Mother Teresa's birth centenary - Aug 26, 2010
- Sister Prema is new head of Missionaries of Charity - Mar 26, 2009
- There will be none like Mother Teresa again, say commoners - Aug 24, 2010
- Kolkata gears up to salute Mother Teresa Thursday (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- US envoy pays homage to Mother Teresa - Aug 26, 2010
- Nepal prays for Mother Teresa - Aug 26, 2010
- Kolkata prepraes to salute Mother Teresa - Aug 25, 2010
- Mother Teresa's visual biography opens film festival - Aug 26, 2010
- Special prayers in Kolkata to mark Mother Teresa's birth centenary - Aug 26, 2010
Tags: bad god, brahmin family, converting to christianity, global headquarters, hinduism, honour, humility, joshi, missionaries of charity, mother teresa, nuns, ranchi, republic day, service of god, simplicity, sister nirmala