Singhvi stays away from parliament (Lead)April 24th, 2012 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 24 (IANS) After giving up his position in a parliamentary committee and the Congress party over an alleged sleaze CD, Rajya Sabha member Abhishek Manu Singhvi chose to stay away from the parliament Tuesday. Party colleague Salman Khurshid defended Singhvi, saying it was his private matter.
Singhvi was absent from the parliament as its budget session resumed fearing that the opposition might raise a storm over the issue.
With the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) demanding an explanation from Singhvi, Khurshid said: “You cannot treat everything in the same manner… parliament must be concerned about procedure and issues and when it comes to private lives of people, I think it should be handled in a different manner.”
Replying to a question on the Congress party raising a hue and cry when BJP legislators in Gujarat and Karnataka were allegedly caught on camera watching porn in the assembly, Khurshid said: “There is no private life when you are sitting inside the assembly.”
Meanwhile, a source in the Congress party said Singhvi was also likely to lose his party posts including that of the legal and human rights department.
Singhvi was the Congress party spokesman and head of the parliamentary committee on law and justice, the positions from which he stepped down Monday.
Singhvi had said he did so to “avoid further damage to the party’s image”, adding that “all allegations are patently baseless and false”.
- Singhvi CD issue his private affair, says Khurshid - Apr 24, 2012
- Singhvi stays away from parliament - Apr 24, 2012
- CD row: Singhvi quits party, parliamentary posts (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2012
- Singhvi quits as Congress spokesperson, parliamentary panel chief (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Singhvi seeks leave for rest of budget session - May 04, 2012
- Singhvi should explain his resignation in parliament: BJP - Apr 23, 2012
- Abhishek Manu Singhvi's resignation statement - Apr 23, 2012
- Media houses restrained from publishing Singhvi CD - Apr 16, 2012
- Khurshid did not violate model code: Congress tells poll panel - Jan 20, 2012
- Lokpal bill a war against corruption: Congress - Dec 22, 2011
- Spectrum scam: BJP flays Congress bid to tar its leaders (Lead, changing dateline) - Dec 26, 2010
- Congress keeps away from Singhvi CD controversy - Apr 18, 2012
- Poll panel censures Khurshid for quota announcement (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Porngate unfortunate, say BJP leaders (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Sonia slams BJP for parliament logjam, corruption - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: april 24, bharatiya janata party, budget session, colleague, congress party, gujarat, hue and cry, karnataka, law and justice, legislators, manu, New Delhi, parliamentary committee, party posts, party spokesman, private life, private lives, private matter, rajya sabha member, sleaze