Sikhs in Jharkhand protest Congress tickets to 1984 riots accusedMarch 26th, 2009 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, March 26 (IANS) Members of the Sikh community in Jharkhand Thursday held protests against the Congress’ move to field those accused of involvement in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots in the coming general elections.
Hundreds of Sikhs participated in the protests, under the banner of Jharkhand Sikh and Punjabi Cultural Society.
The society’s spokesman Kawaljeet Singh said the community was “hurt” over the Congress issuing tickets for two Lok Sabha seats in Delhi to Sajjan Kumar and Jagdish Tytler, who faces a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry into his alleged role in the riots. He demanded the party change its candidates.
“If the Congress fails to cancel their tickets, then the Sikh community will hit the streets and may call on people not to vote for the Congress,” he said.
Around 3,000 Sikhs were killed in 1984 in riots that broke out following the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi by two of her bodyguards.
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar's plea dismissed - Jun 02, 2012
- Court allows Sajjan Kumar's plea in 1984 riots case - Aug 03, 2012
- Tytler given clean chit in 1984 anti-Sikh riots case - Apr 27, 2010
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots: CBI seeks dismissal of case against Tytler - Jul 24, 2010
- Sikhs demand death sentence for Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler - May 05, 2010
- 1984 riots: Court rejects Sajjan Kumar's plea (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Sajjan claims right to confront witness with proof - May 23, 2012
- 1984 riots: No stay on Sajjan Kumar's trial - Jul 03, 2012
- Sikh community demands action against Tytler, Sajjan in 1984 riots case - Jan 03, 2010
- Akali Dal, SGPC oppose Tytler in Olympics delegation - Jul 09, 2012
- BJP demands punishment for guilty in anti-Sikh riots - Nov 03, 2010
- Named in riots case after 16 years: Sajjan Kumar - Aug 14, 2012
- Police recorded 1984 witnesses' statements in unfair manner: CBI - Apr 09, 2012
- Sajjan Kumar accuses CBI of playing fraud - May 19, 2012
- 1984 riots: Court seeks CBI reply on Sajjan Kumar's plea - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: anti sikh riots, bodyguards, cbi inquiry, central bureau of investigation, congress move, general elections, indira gandhi, jagdish tytler, lok sabha seats, prime minister indira, protest, protests, sajjan kumar, sikh community, sikhs, spokesman