Sikh panel plans protest outside US embassyDecember 14th, 2010 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 14 (IANS) The Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC), the mini-parliament of Sikh religion, Tuesday said its members will protest outside the US embassy in Delhi Dec 23 against turban checks at American airports.SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar said committee members will ‘gherao’ (lay seige to) and protest outside the US embassy Dec 23.
The Sikh leaders would protest against incidents of people from the community being subjected to humiliating experience at US airports in the name of security, he said.
Singh particularly objected to Sikhs being asked to remove their turbans during security checks at US airports.
He referred to senior Indian diplomat Hardeep Puri being asked last month by officials at Austin airport in Texas to remove his turban for a security check.
The SGPC and the ruling Akali Dal in Punjab have sought the intervention of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is also a Sikh, to take up the issue with the US administration and stop Sikhs’ turban checks.
The matter was also raised by Akali Dal MP from Bathinda Harsimrat Kaur Badal with US President Barack Obama during his visit to India last month.
- Act to stop turban checks, Akali Dal tells government - Dec 14, 2010
- SGPC protests against turban frisking at international airports - Mar 25, 2011
- Sikh coach's turban check protested in parliament - Mar 16, 2011
- Frisking Row: Sikh delegation meets US ambassador Roemer in New Delhi - Dec 15, 2010
- Turban row: Sikh outfit leaders meet Italian envoy in Delhi - Mar 24, 2011
- 'Save Bhullar' campaign picking up in Punjab - Jun 22, 2011
- Seek stop to US turban checking, Badal urges PM - Dec 13, 2010
- SGPC sets up panel to save Bhullar - May 30, 2011
- Diplomat pat down: Punjab minister urges PM to act - Dec 25, 2010
- Security stepped up around Haryana gurdwaras - Sep 13, 2010
- Avtar Singh Makkar re-elected SGPC chief - Nov 16, 2010
- Sikh massacre: SGPC rejects Haryana government's probe - Feb 23, 2011
- Ajay Devgn agrees to cut objectionable dialogue from 'Son of Sardar' - Sep 04, 2012
- Gurdwara committee polls slated for Sep 18 - Jul 28, 2011
- I will visit Golden Temple next time: Obama - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: american airports, austin airport, avtar singh, badal, barack obama, bathinda, indian diplomat, makkar, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, security checks, seige, sgpc, shiromani gurdwara, sikh leaders, sikhs, turbans, us embassy in delhi