Siachen hero joins National ConferenceApril 9th, 2009 - 8:21 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, April 9 (IANS) A former Indian Army officer, decorated with the highest wartime gallantry medal - Param Vir Chakra - for capturing a Siachen glacier post, Thursday joined the ruling National Conference in Jammu and Kashmir.
Captain (retired) Bana Singh, who hails from the border area of Ranbirsinghpora, 30 km west of Jammu, will head the ex-servicemen wing of the National Conference.
The heroic exploit of then Naib Subedar Bana Singh battling Pakistani forces and steep climb at Siachen glacier in 1987 have been woven into folklores in the state.
Bana Singh in June 1987 led his men in a daring and secret operation to evict Pakistani intruders from a post on Siachen Glacier area, the world’s highest battlefield at an altitude of 21,000 feet.
The post he captured was virtually an impregnable glacier fortress with ice walls, 1,500 feet high, on both sides. It was renamed Bana Top in his honour. He was awarded the Param Vir Chakra for “conspicuous bravery and leadership under most adverse conditions”, said a citation by the Indian Army lauding his courage.
National Conference’s provincial president Rattan Lal Gupta said he was proud to announce the joining of Bana Singh into the party. “He is a brave soldier.”
- Young Lieutenant wins Ashok Chakra posthumously - Jan 26, 2012
- Lt. Navdeep Singh wins Ashok Chakra posthumously - Jan 26, 2012
- Tears as Navdeep Singh gets posthumous Ashok Chakra (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Gallantry awardees to get free parking passes in Chandigarh - Dec 31, 2010
- Civil gallantry awardees to get free AC train travel - Jul 24, 2012
- Indian Army remembers fallen heroes of Battle of Basantar (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- 3 Kirti Chakras among defence medals conferred by president - Apr 19, 2011
- Indian Army remembers fallen heroes of 1971 Battle of Basantar - Dec 16, 2010
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Kargil martyrs remembered on Vijay Diwas - Jul 26, 2012
- Five army men named for Kirti Chakra, 21 to get Shaurya Chakra - Jan 25, 2011
- Defence ministry gets seven more portraits of war-time heroes - Sep 26, 2008
- Army pilot killed in chopper crash (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Railways to recruit 16,000 ex-servicemen - Feb 25, 2011
- Now, postal cover on Siachen glacier - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: altitude, bana, border area, brave soldier, conspicuous bravery, folklores, fortress, gallantry, glacier area, gupta, honour, indian army, indian army officer, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, pakistani intruders, param vir chakra, provincial president, rattan lal, siachen glacier