Shutdown paralyses life in Karnataka (Lead)September 20th, 2012 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Sep 20 (IANS) The nation-wide shut down Thursday against the central government’s economic measures crippled normal life in BJP-ruled Karnataka with buses off the roads and schools, colleges, shops, hotels, cinema theatres and factories shut.
In Bangalore, most of the IT firms declared holiday Thursday and decided to work Saturday.
Government offices and banks across the state reported thin attendance as state-run buses and auto-rickshaws, a popular mode of private transport in Bangalore and major towns in the state, were off the roads.
The shutdown was called separately by Bharatiya Janata Party-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and the Left parties demanding roll back of the decision to permit FDI in multi-brand retail, diesel price hike and cap on subsidised cooking gas cylinders.
A police spokesperson told reporters in Bangalore that the protest was peaceful throughout the state, though at some places BJP workers forced a few shops that were open to down their shutters.
In Bangalore, BJP general secretary and Bangalore South Lok Sabha member Ananath Kumar and former chief minister B.S. Yeddyurappa were detained for a brief period when they tried to lead a rally of party workers.
While train passengers reaching Bangalore and other major towns faced severe hardships in reaching their destination, those who flew to the capital did not face much of a problem as many taxis were available for hire.
However, the state-run AC Volvo bus service to and fro airport was off the road for the day.
- Shutdown hits life in Karnataka - Sep 20, 2012
- Commercial establishments shut in Himachal - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown gets partial response in Himachal (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown hits normal life in Andhra Pradesh - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown evokes mixed response in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown hits India's tech hub partially (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Karnataka shuts down to protest petrol price hike - May 31, 2012
- Shutdown cripples life in Odisha - Sep 20, 2012
- Trade unions strike hits life across Karnataka - Feb 28, 2012
- Opposition protest shuts parts of India (Roundup) - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,