Shutdown in Tripura Monday over hiked fuel pricesJune 25th, 2011 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, June 25 (IANS) The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M)-led ruling Left Front in Tripura Saturday called for a 12-hour shutdown in the state Monday to protest against the hike in fuel prices.
Left Front spokesperson Gautam Das told reporters here that by increasing prices of petrol, diesel, kerosene and cooking gas, the central government “has made the greatest assault on common people”.
“The dawn-to-dusk strike would be observed Monday to protest the hike in prices of fuel and to demand withdrawal of the decision,” said Das, flanked by other Left leaders.
“At a time when people are burdened with increasing price of all essential commodities, general inflation and food inflation have remained unrestrained, the UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government has increased the fuel price,” he said.
Quoting government records, he said that the UPA government during the past one year has increased petrol prices nine times and of diesel, kerosene and cooking gas twice.
“Diesel price increase would be a cascading affect in many areas, including production sector,” Das said adding that few months back the central government has increased the prices of natural gas forcing consequential increase of tariff of electricity generated from the gas based power projects
The Left parties said that reducing the customs and excise duties on the petroleum products, the prices of the various fuels can be checked giving relief to the people.
The central government Friday increased the price of diesel by Rs.3 per litre, kerosene by Rs.2 a litre and cooking gas (liquefied petroleum gas [LPG]) by Rs.50 per cylinder.
- Strike in Tripura over fuel prices Monday - Jun 26, 2010
- Tripura Left Front not to join all-India strike July 5 - Jun 30, 2010
- No plan to hike diesel, LPG, kerosene prices: Reddy - May 28, 2012
- India Inc calls for dual pricing of diesel, LPG - May 24, 2012
- Opposition calls all-India shutdown July 5 (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Petrol price hike: Left calls for strike in Tripura - May 27, 2012
- Delhiites flay fuel price hike - Jun 25, 2011
- Ruling Marxists call strike against fuel hike in Tripura - Jun 28, 2010
- LDF shutdown in Kerala to protest fuel price hike - Jun 25, 2010
- Left-backed shutdown cripples life in Tripura - Jun 27, 2011
- Left-backed shutdown cripples life in Tripura (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Diesel price hiked by Rs 5, opposition slams 'anti-people' move (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- Fuel prices hiked in Pakistan - Apr 01, 2012
- BJP protests fuel price hike in Delhi, demands rollback (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- Government hikes diesel price by Rs.five a litre (Second lead) - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: alliance government, central government, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, dawn to dusk, diesel price, excise duties, fuel price, fuel prices, government records, kerosene, left parties, petrol prices, petroleum gas, petroleum products, production sector, progressive alliance, rs 2, rs 50, tripura