Shutdown in Telangana over suicides for separate stateMarch 27th, 2012 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 27 (IANS) A daylong shutdown began across Andhra Pradesh’s Telangana region Tuesday following a call by the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) to protest the central government’s insensitivity towards the demand for a separate state, which is driving youth to commit suicide.
Shops and business establishments remained closed in most parts of Telangana, which comprises 10 districts including Hyderabad.
State-owned Road Transport Corporation (RTC) buses were plying as usual as the TRS has exempted the bus transport service from the shutdown in view of the ongoing Class 10 examination.
While the shutdown evoked a mixed response in Hyderabad, it was total in most parts of the other nine districts.
In Warangal district, where two people committed suicide to protest the delay in the formation of a separate Telangana state, the shutdown is total. Autorickshaws remained off the roads in the entire district to protest the self-immolation of auto driver Rajamouli in Hanamkonda town Monday. An MBA student had committed suicide in Warangal town Saturday.
A daily wage earner also set himself on fire in Wanaparthy town of Mahabubnagar district Monday, but escaped with injuries.
The shutdown is being supported by the Telangana Joint Action Committee, Telangana leaders of Congress, Telugu Desam Party, Bharatiya Janata Party, Osmania University Joint Action Committee and other groups.
The suicides have put Telangana on the boil again. By calling for a shutdown, the TRS is trying to revive the Telangana movement, which received some fillip with the party’s victory in by-elections to six assembly seats last week.
- Telangana shutdown hits life in region (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Another man dies for Telangana, TRS calls for shutdown - Mar 26, 2012
- Lok Sabha disrupted over Telangana issue - Mar 27, 2012
- Naidu reaches Warangal amid shutdown, protests - Jan 06, 2012
- Telangana on boil, strike continues - Sep 23, 2011
- Life paralysed as 48-hour Telangana shutdown begins (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Telangana issue rocks Lok Sabha, BJP blames Congress (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Chandrababu Naidu visits Warangal despite shutdown, protests (Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- Complete shutdown in Telangana for second day - Feb 23, 2011
- Tension at Telangana student's funeral procession - Mar 25, 2012
- YSR Congress calls for Andhra shutdown Monday - May 27, 2012
- Telangana shutdown paralyses life (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Two-day Telangana shutdown begins, bus transport paralysed - Jul 05, 2011
- After suicides, shutdown hits life in Telangana - Jan 20, 2010
- Telangana strike paralyses transport services - Sep 19, 2011
Tags: action committee, andhra pradesh, assembly seats, auto driver, bharatiya janata party, bus transport, business establishments, entire district, fillip, insensitivity, leaders of congress, mba student, osmania university, road transport, self immolation, telangana movement, telugu desam party, transport corporation, transport service, trs