Shutdown impact on Andhra assemblySeptember 20th, 2012 - 1:21 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 20 (IANS) The nation-wide shutdown had its impact on Andhra Pradesh state legislative assembly with the opposition parties forcing adjournment thrice since morning.
Main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP), Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), YSR Congress Party, BJP, CPI and CPI-M stalled the proceedings to protest the hike in diesel price, cap on subsidized LPG cylinders and FDI in retail.
While the opposition parties staged sit-in and stopped buses across the state, their legislators inside the house lodged their protest by surrounding the speaker’s podium.
Raising slogans and demanding the centre to withdraw its decisions, the opposition legislators created a ruckus and did not allow the speaker to run the house. Speaker N. Manohar’s repeated appeals to allow the house to take up debate on an electricity issue fell on deaf ears.
He adjourned the house for the third time till noon. Earlier, he adjourned the house twice.
As soon as the house met for the day, the opposition legislators were on their feet, demanding that their adjournment motions be taken up.
Thursday is the third day of five-day monsoon session. The assembly was adjourned without any proceedings Monday and Tuesday as TRS insisted that the house pass a resolution for separate statehood to Telangana. There was no sitting Wednesday on account of Ganesha Chaturthi.
- Andhra assembly remains paralysed over Telangana - Sep 21, 2012
- Andhra assembly adjourned for second day without business - Dec 02, 2011
- Telangana trouble continues in Andhra assembly - Feb 25, 2011
- Andhra assembly paralysed over Telangana issue - Mar 03, 2011
- Telangana issue again rocks Andhra assembly - Sep 18, 2012
- Telangana issue rocks Andhra assembly again, 12 members suspended (Lead) - Feb 23, 2011
- Andhra assembly session kicks off on stormy note - Dec 01, 2011
- Andhra assembly remains paralysed over Telangana issue - Feb 26, 2011
- Deadlock continues in Andhra assembly (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- Andhra speaker rejects resignations of 61 lawmakers - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: adjournment, bjp, chaturthi, congress party, CPI, deaf ears, diesel price, fdi, house speaker, legislative assembly, lpg cylinders, manohar, monsoon session, opposition parties, price cap, ruckus, statehood, third day, trs, ysr