Shutdown gets partial response in Himachal (Lead)September 20th, 2012 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 20 (IANS) The shutdown called by the opposition against the central government’s economic measures Thursday got a partial response in the BJP-ruled Himachal Pradesh with buses and trains running normally.
However, traders in some parts of the state downed shutters in the morning. As the day progressed, they reopened their shops, restaurants and eating joints.
Government offices and educational institutions were also functioning normally and there was no report of violence anywhere in the state.
The impact of the shutdown was more in major towns like Shimla, Rampur, Theog, Solan, Mandi, Una, Bilaspur, Hamirpur, Dharamsala, Palampur and Kangra.
“There was a complete shutdown in Shimla. Essential services like supply of milk, hospitals and chemist shops were kept out of the shutdown,” Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) state secretariat member Tikender Panwar told IANS here.
The opposition parties were opposing the diesel price hike, cap on subsidised cooking gas cylinders and allowing foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail.
“The government is just trying to divert attention from the corruption issue with its decision on FDI in retail,” said Bharatiya Janata Party general secretary J.P. Nadda at a rally here.
Slogan-shouting CPI-M activists staged protests in the state capital.
Cadres of the BJP along with opposition parties enforced the shutdown in most districts, forcing shops in most towns to down shutters.
There was no report of violence across the state, a police official said.
- Commercial establishments shut in Himachal - Sep 20, 2012
- FDI in retail: Complete shutdown in Himachal - Dec 01, 2011
- Shutdown hits life in Himachal, minor clashes reported (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Petrol price rise: Shops shut across Himachal - May 31, 2012
- Shutdown hits life in Himachal - Jul 05, 2010
- CPI-M eyes third front in Himachal - May 31, 2012
- Mixed response to anti-government protest (Afternoon Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown paralyses life in Karnataka (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Traders down shutters in Maharashtra - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown hits Himachal, chief minister walks to office (Lead) - May 31, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,