Shutdown disrupts life across UP, train services disruptedMay 31st, 2012 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 31 (IANS) The shutdown call against the petrol price hike, supported by the ruling Samajwadi Party (SP), disrupted life in all cities and towns of Uttar Pradesh Thursday.
Samajwadi Party workers squatted on railway tracks at many places and stopped trains. They also blocked the New Delhi-Howrah railway route.
Leftist trade unions and traders’ wings of the Bharatiya Janata Party and the SP took part in the strike, following which busy routes in Kanpur, Agra, Varanasi, Allahabad and Lucknow were shut till afternoon.
BJP workers held a sit-in in front of the state assembly in Lucknow and burnt an effigy of the central government.
SP workers wearing their trademark red caps blocked train movement at Allahabad railway station.
Saket Express and Ganga-Gomti Express were stopped in Allahabad. SP workers also targetted the Sultanpur Express at Varanasi.
BJP state president Laxmi Kant Bajpayi said the strike was successful.
The party’s workers moved on bullock carts around Aligarh, Mathura, Hardoi and Sitapur.
However, no untoward incident was reported during the shutdown, police said.
- UP traders claim bandh a success, to keep up protests (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown cripples normal life in UP - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown disrupts life in Uttar Pradesh (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Shutdown disrupts life in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Trains stopped in Uttar Pradesh as shutdown starts - Jul 05, 2010
- Goods train derailed in Bihar, disrupts traffic (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 13, 2012
- BJP cries foul over nominee's failure to file papers - Jun 07, 2012
- With SP's return, Mulayam's pet projects return - Mar 07, 2012
- Left-led 13 party countrywide shutdown begins - Apr 27, 2010
- Samajwadi workers clash with police, leaders detained (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- Samajwadi Party activists torch buses, stop trains (Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
- SP activists disrupt train traffic in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 27, 2010
- BJP leaders court arrest as protest against fuel price hike intensifies - Jul 05, 2010
- Opposition's 'Bharat bandh' against fuel price hike paralyses normal life - Jul 05, 2010
- Shutdown hits trains and road traffic in Bihar - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: allahabad, bharatiya janata party, bjp, bullock carts, effigy, ganga, hardoi, howrah, laxmi, petrol price hike, railway route, railway station, red caps, state assembly, state president, sultanpur, trade unions, train movement, train services, untoward incident