Shutdown begins peacefully in MaharashtraMay 31st, 2012 - 9:58 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 31 (IANS) The Opposition-sponsored shutdown started in Mumbai and the state peacefully Thursday, barring sporadic incidents of violence in Thane and Pune, officials said.
There were at least four incidents of government buses being stoned in Pune and Thane as the Bharatiya Janata Party, Shiv Sena, Left, Samajwadi Party and others called for a nation-wide shutdown to protest the recent hike in petrol prices.
Besides, the shutdown is being supported by anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare and even Mumbai’s ‘Dabbawallas’ who will not provide their regular tiffin delivery services today.
- Shutdown near-total in Mumbai, most of Maharashtra (Second lead) - May 31, 2012
- Shutdown near-total in Mumbai, most of Maharashtra (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Protest against petrol prices leaves India hobbled (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Traders down shutters in Maharashtra - Sep 20, 2012
- Maharashtra to challenge opposition shutdown in court - Jul 02, 2010
- No-bath protest in Hazare's village - Aug 18, 2011
- Anna Hazare losing relevance: Bal Thackeray - Mar 27, 2012
- Shutdown begins in Maharashtra amid violence - Jul 05, 2010
- Thackeray speaks to Hazare, sends grandson to venue - Aug 26, 2011
- Mumbai dabbawallas hike rates again - Apr 25, 2012
- Opposition playing politics over petrol price hike: Soni - May 31, 2012
- 'Opposition making petrol price hike a political issue' (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Mixed response to anti-government protest (Afternoon Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown cripples Andhra Pradesh - May 31, 2012
- Thackeray blasts Team Anna - Nov 07, 2011