Shukla caught on mike telling Kurien to adjourn Rajya SabhaAugust 21st, 2012 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla Tuesday got embroiled in a controversy when he was heard telling Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman P.J. Kurien to adjourn the house after the opposition whipped up an uproar over the CAG report on coal blocks allotment.
Kurien was in the chair when opposition members started shouting slogans in unison against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the government.
Shukla went to the chair and whispered in Kurein’s ear, “Pure din Ke liye House adjourn kara dijiye (Adjourn the House for the day).” In an embarrassment, the remarks were caught into Kurien’s mike and got recorded.
The house was subsequently adjourned for the day.
The Bharatiya Janata Party took strong exception to it and said it has “exposed Congress design” to stall the functioning of parliament.
- Coal allotment: Chorus for PM's resignation, parliament adjourned (Third Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- BJP disrupts parliament again (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over coal block allocations (Roundup) - Sep 06, 2012
- Coal fuels parliament disruptions for sixth day (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- BJP, SP protests force parliament adjournment till Friday (Second Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- BJP sticks to 'quit PM' demand (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- BJP protests stall parliament again (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Coal 'scam' disrupts parliament (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day over Gujarat Lokayukta issue - Sep 02, 2011
- Parliament disrupted for 10th day, promotions quota bill likely Wednesday (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Both houses adjourned, two bills quickly passed (Third Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Logjam continues, parliament adjourned (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Opposition uproar forces Lok Sabha adjournment till noon - May 22, 2012
- Rajya Sabha disrupted over weavers, Tamil Nadu road (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Let PM speak on coal allocation, government tells BJP - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: allotment, bharatiya janata party, cag report, coal, controversy, deputy chairman, embarrassment, manmohan, manmohan singh, minister of state, New Delhi, opposition members, parliamentary affairs, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajiv shukla, rajya sabha, slogans, unison, uproar