Shourie writes to Rajnath, wants debate on poll debacleJune 19th, 2009 - 11:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 19 (IANS) Another Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader joined the growing list of those voicing discontent with the party’s functioning. Arun Shourie has reportedly written to party president Rajnath Singh demanding a debate on the poor election results and the way the party is being run.
“He has demanded a transparent and serious discussion on the election debacle, and has asked why such a discussion is not taking place. He has also said that the BJP is in the hands of conspirators who are destroying the party,” a BJP source said.
A meeting of the BJP office bearers was held Friday evening here. Shourie’s letter comes a day ahead of the party’s national executive meeting Saturday.
“Shourie has also raised questions about Arun Jaitley who will be absent during the national executive meeting. Jaitley is going for a holiday with his family,” the source added. Jaitley was the party’s chief strategist during the elections. He resigned as party general secretary after being named Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha.
The BJP, the second largest party in the Lok Sabha, has been gripped with internal strife since the election results. Party senior Yashwant Sinha resigned from all posts, including national vice president, demanding reconstitution of the party in the wake of the poll debacle. Jaswant Singh has already spoken of the need to fix blame for the election results.
“He (Shourie) has demanded that real issues - which are creating difficulties for the party - need to be discussed rather than routine matters. He has alleged in his letter that party decisions are not being taken democratically,” the source said.
- BJP holds crucial national executive meeting - Jun 20, 2009
- BJP's soul-searching meet begins Saturday - Jun 19, 2009
- Bitter Yeddyurappa mocks BJP leadership - May 19, 2012
- BJP members walk out of 2G JPC (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Jaitley steps down as BJP general secretary (Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- Jaitley quits BJP post ahead of crucial party meet (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2009
- In BJP blame game, leaders now criticise key strategists - Jun 10, 2009
- Yashwant Sinha quits BJP executive amidst differences within party - Jun 13, 2009
- Sinha, Shourie axed from BJP meet for pubic criticism - Aug 11, 2009
- A month after: BJP in generational battle (News Analysis) - Jun 14, 2009
- Rajnath takes onus for BJP poll debacle, swears by Hindutva (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2009
- Sanjay Joshi offers to quit BJP national executive - May 24, 2012
- Bihari Babu to boycott BJP's Bihar Swabhiman rally - Jun 13, 2010
- Finally, Advani-Gadkari feud out in the open (Third Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Rajnath sees no need to make public defeat reasons, mum on Sinha (Lead) - Jul 26, 2009
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, chief strategist, conspirators, election debacle, executive meeting, general secretary, internal strife, jaswant singh, leader of the opposition, Lok Sabha, national executive, national vice president, party president, poll debacle, rajnath singh, rajya sabha, reconstitution, routine matters, yashwant sinha