Short skirts cause women harassment: Trinamool lawmakerJuly 28th, 2012 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 28 (IANS) Bengali actor and Trinamool Congress legislator Chiranjeet aka Dipak Chakraborty Saturday contended that short dresses worn by women were one of the main reasons behind the increase in incidents of harassment of women in his constituency in the North 24 Parganas district.
“Eve-teasing is a very old thing. It has been going on for ages. One of the reasons behind the increase in incidents of eve-teasing is short dresses and short skirts worn by women. This in turn instigates young men,” said Chakraborty, who represents Barasat.
His comments come a day after a girl was harassed in the area.
“The incident of eve-teasing is not good. We condemn it but we need to see one thing that there can be no Ramayana without a Ravan,” said Charaborty.
- Trinamool MLA clarifies 'short skirt' remark, Mamata refuses comment (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- 'Khap' bans jeans, mobile phones for girls in Uttar Pradesh village - Jan 18, 2011
- Kolkata beefs up security for Durga Puja - Oct 12, 2010
- Dress modestly or for ease? China eves debate - Jul 13, 2012
- Bangladesh empowers mobile courts to stop eve teasing - Nov 11, 2010
- Celebrities becomes 'giant-killers' in Bengal polls - May 13, 2011
- Colleges in Kanpur ban jeans on campuses to check eve-teasing - Jun 09, 2009
- Bringing in the new year with style - Jan 01, 2012
- Celebrities take on Left Front veterans for Trinamool - Apr 26, 2011
- Eve teasing in Bangladesh causing many women to commit suicide - Jun 16, 2010
- Crime against women on the rise in Bihar, says report - Jun 14, 2009
- Ghaziabad traders protest police inaction, shut shops - Aug 11, 2012
- Mary Kom lauds AIBA for leaving shorts-skirts choice to boxers - Mar 02, 2012
- Bangladesh students protest against rampant 'eve teasing, sexual harassment of women ' - Nov 04, 2010
- Rape, molestation cases in Delhi up in 2010 (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: bengali, cause women, chakraborty, constituency, dipak, eve teasing, harassment, lawmaker, legislator, parganas district, ramayana, ravan, short dresses, short skirts, trinamool congress, young men