Shops remain shut in Shimla to protest cow slaughter (Second Lead)February 13th, 2010 - 4:54 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Feb 13 (IANS) Normal life was hit in this Himachal Pradesh capital Saturday as private business establishments adhered to the shutdown call by various Hindu organisations and remained closed till 2 p.m. to protest the slaughter of a cow near here.
The shutdown call from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. was complete and passed off peacefully, barring a few skirmishes.
Eyewitnesses said activists of the Bajrang Dal and other organisations staged demonstrations and forced the shopkeepers to close their shops. Even leaders of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), including local legislator Suresh Bhardwaj, participated in the protest.
The cow was slaughtered by members of a minority community at Pujali village in Chopal tehsil of Shimla district Thursday. Police subsequently arrested six people on charges of killing the cow.
However, violent protests erupted Friday in villages near Pujali over the slaughter. A mosque and a few shops were attacked at Nerwa, some 120 km from here.
In the violence-hit villages, too, shops remained closed Saturday.
Superintendent of Police R.M. Sharma told IANS that the shutdown call passed off peacefully in Shimla and other areas.
“No incidence of violence has been reported from anywhere so far,” he said.
This was the first communal riot in Himachal Pradesh since the state was formed in 1971.
- Cow slaughter triggers violent protests in Himachal (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- One arrested in Himachal for slaughtering cow - Feb 12, 2010
- Protests over cow slaughter in Himachal - Feb 12, 2010
- Shops closed in Shimla to protest cow slaughter (Lead) - Feb 13, 2010
- Himachal villages calm after protests over cow slaughter - Feb 13, 2010
- Shutdown hits life in Himachal, minor clashes reported (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Petrol price rise: Shops shut across Himachal - May 31, 2012
- Eight killed in Himachal accident - Jan 12, 2012
- Shutdown hits Himachal, chief minister walks to office (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- FDI in retail: Complete shutdown in Himachal - Dec 01, 2011
- Himachal accident toll rises to 15 (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Bus falls into rivulet in Himachal, two killed - Jul 27, 2010
- Five killed as car falls into gorge - Mar 25, 2010
- Shutdown hits commercial life in Himachal (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Six Delhi residents killed in Himachal accident - Jun 04, 2011
Tags: activists, bajrang dal, business establishments, communal riot, cow slaughter, demonstrations, eyewitnesses, himachal pradesh, hindu organisations, legislator, minority community, mosque, private business, shimla, skirmishes, superintendent, tehsil, violence, violent protests